Transporting my Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am moving up to CT and I have movers coming to pack up everything around June 24th. They are supposed to deliver our stuff on July 8th. I have around 10 pounds of hops including amarillo, citra, simcoe, which are hops I would prefer not to give up. I have them vacuumed sealed and stored in a freezer. I am trying to figure out the best way to get them up here. I would need at least 2 average size coolers to bring them up but I am affriad ice would cause condensation in the vacuum bags. Also, we will be driving up about a week before my freezer will be up here. So should I just take them out and transport them out of a cooler? Am I worrying to much about this? I am drinking a homebrew right now and I feel pretty relaxed but I am still wondering....

I am not a scientist, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if your hops are truly vacuum sealed, I don't see how keeping them on ice instead of in a freezer is going to result in any more moisture in the sealed bags than already existed while they were in the freezer. I have, however, been known to be wrong before.

Have you considered dry ice? I've got Omaha steaks delivered with dry ice packs and my meats are nice and frozen. I've saved the insulated boxes and use them to store bottles. Anyway, Smart and Final has dry ice.

Back