Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I just made a yeast starter from washed yeast and I have a few questions.
How long does it take to get going?
How do I know it's working?
Should I pitch It in 24hr or what longer?

1. Depends upon the 'freshness' of the yeast. In general, you should see something in, at most, 2 to 3 days.
2. You will know it's working if you see bubbles in the vessel that the yeast/starter is in. Don't rely on the airlock for indication.
3. Sounds like you plan on bumping this starter up. Wait until a day or two after you see activity, then approximately double the size of the vessel you are currently fermenting in. I usually go from a 12 oz, to a 22 to a 1/2 gallon.

How long depends on the viability of the yeast culture.

You'll see signs of fermentation like krausen forming.

If it's on a stirplate, 24 hours is a pretty good amount of time. A simple starter may take a bit longer to finish. You can either 1) pitch the whole thing at "high krausen" or cold crash it a day or three, decant the starter beer off the yeast and pitch the yeast.

A lot of it depends on your brew schedule.

avidhomebrewer said:
1. Depends upon the 'freshness' of the yeast. In general, you should see something in, at most, 2 to 3 days.
2. You will know it's working if you see bubbles in the vessel that the yeast/starter is in. Don't rely on the airlock for indication.
3. Sounds like you plan on bumping this starter up. Wait until a day or two after you see activity, then approximately double the size of the vessel you are currently fermenting in. I usually go from a 12 oz, to a 22 to a 1/2 gallon.

Well I'm using the foam stopper that came with it. Should I switch it to to an airlock? I'll just give it some time. It's been in my fridge for about a month. Thanks for the info.

The foam stopper is fine. I just use some sanitized aluminum foil. Don't use an airlock as you want it to be able to sort of breath.

If it was still cold from being in the fridge, it may take a while to get going. Keep it at room temp and swirl it around often. A month in the fridge is still pretty darn fresh.

BigFloyd said:
The foam stopper is fine. I just use some sanitized aluminum foil. Don't use an airlock as you want it to be able to sort of breath.

If it was still cold from being in the fridge, it may take a while to get going. Keep it at room temp and swirl it around often. A month in the fridge is still pretty darn fresh.

image-880597133.jpg

How does this look? I should have use a bigger jar it is a little hard to swirl. I think it should work ok.

A work of art I say but if you intend to get into yeast ranching then a 2L Erlenmeyer flask is a good starting piece of kit.
Take care it is not mistaken for mustard pickles or it might end up on that mashed potato.

el_caro said:
A work of art I say but if you intend to get into yeast ranching then a 2L Erlenmeyer flask is a good starting piece of kit.
Take care it is not mistaken for mustard pickles or it might end up on that mashed potato.

I understand a flask would be good but I wanted to try it first before I went and bought something I would never use again.
I'm glad it looks ok now lets hope it turns out ok.

I think you're going to be sorry you used that bottle. You'll know it's working when it blows that stopper off and makes a mess all over your counter...

pabloj13 said:
I think you're going to be sorry you used that bottle. You'll know it's working when it blows that stopper off and makes a mess all over your counter...

Yea it did do that but it wasn't that big of a mess. The biggest mess was with the wife.

Back