Brew left in Vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deason

Reaction score
Hi,

I have left my brew (out of lazyness to order my bottles!) in the cask for a bit longer than usual.

Now have the bottles in the next day or so arriving so is this length going to have dampened my brews potential and alcohol level?

You say you put it in a cask, so I am assuming you have already let it ferment out. The question would be how long it was left in there? What beer type is it? And what was the OG/FG readings?

nope. the alochol percentage is the same. even the suspended yeast is there to carb up the bottles. to make to even better the beer has now gained a few more cask aging days in! you basically cant mess up beer by letting it age longer before bottling. only infection is a risk.

I did think this but thank you for the confirmation.

It doesn't look infected to be honest either.

Now looking forward to seeing how much different swingtops are for carbonation :)

Just be extra carefull with the priming sugar quantity so you don't make bottle bombs. Swing tops make a huge mess if they blow out or leak from over carbing. Good luck though and let us know how the extra ageing came out. I think it may have helped the brew get rid of some of the Canned kit twang possibly. Kits do have a reputation of having a twangy taste and you may have been able to age it out before you bottle.....

Wheelchair Bob

The twang doesn't come from it's being in a can,although unlined cans can give it a metallic taste. The "extract twang" comes from adding too much or all of the extract at the beginning of the boil where caramelization from mailard reactions cause that cooked extract flavor. Late extract additions combat this,giving lighter color & cleaner flavor.
Weigh out the priming sugar & mix it with 2C of boiled water till the water goes clear again. Cover & cool while you get set up to bottle. Then pour the priming solution into the beer racking into the bottling bucket when there's a couple inches of beer in the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks Bob for the tip on swingtops...I was worried about this, I will certainly be a bit more careful than with my PET bottles.

I've got some coopers carb tablets.

Im hoping my mature brew is a hit for the summer so will let you know in a few weeks :)

Back