Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, a friend and I are brewing for the first time, and are using the beer simply beer kit, and their recipe for a brown ale. We bottled the other day and I took a few pictures through the hole for the airlock. This isn’t an infection is it? Or is the big chunk on the right just remnants of the hop pellets?

upload_2019-3-24_16-21-30.png upload_2019-3-24_16-21-54.png upload_2019-3-24_16-22-8.png upload_2019-3-24_16-24-21.png

Welcome to HBT!

What @JimRausch said, it looks very fine.
That floating green raft could indeed be some hop matter that got transferred into the fermenter and is sticking together.

I'm sorry to tell you but lit looks like you might have BEER there. You'll have to bottle some up and send it to me before I know for sure but I'm pretty sure you have beer. Welcome to the club

Hey, a friend and I are brewing for the first time, and are using the beer simply beer kit, and their recipe for a brown ale. We bottled the other day and I took a few pictures through the hole for the airlock. This isn’t an infection is it? Or is the big chunk on the right just remnants of the hop pellets?

View attachment 619010 View attachment 619011 View attachment 619012 View attachment 619013

looks super common to me. some beers will have a oil slick on top or strange yeast rafts.

Wait til you start using different yeasts that create monster yeast rafts. Looks gross as hell and tastes splendid!

Take a look around the forums and search for “infected”. If its fuzzy or white and lacy then you may have an infection.

Back