Is This a Contaminated Starter- Post Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently started re-using yeast (started due to fears of homebrew shops closing off my access to yeast). I just did my first starter batch, using my first round of saved yeast. I made this 2.5L starter with Wyeast 1056, running on a starter plate for ~20 hours, and then cold crashed in my super-cold beer fridge (@ 34F) for ~12 hours.

On the top of the cold crashed starter, there were small white clumps. I couldn't decide if it was bacteria growth infection, or just some leftover whisps of "starter krausen". The starter had an apple-like smell. I didn't want to risk the batch of beer, so I dumped the starter and used other yeast. Based on picture, I'm wondering if people think this looks like infection, or I dumped it unnecessarily.
White Puffs on Cold Crashed Starter.jpg

Looks normal to me.

You can always dump some of the wort into a glass and drink it. It wont taste great obviously, but it shouldn't taste like crap. Any weird off flavors might show up. Itll taste similar to old bud light.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like I got overly cautious. Just as a sanity check, this is the process I was using to save yeast, borrowed from a buddy because it seems super simple:

1. Make a 2L starter as normal with a fresh packet of yeast from store.
2. Pull off of stir plate after ~24 hours and fill "most" of a pint mason jar (that's been cleaned and then sprayed with Star San).
3. Put pint jar in fridge.
4. Next batch, create 2L starter wort, and pour pint jar of saved yeast into it.
5. Repeat steps #2 - #4 next time.

Latest posts

Back