Is my beer safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdog69

Reaction score
Dry hopped and now upon drinking notice a lot of 'floaties'..it tastes pretty good and is well carbonated and no weird taste/color/smell...but for some reason im worried about potential infection or something based on floaties in the beer.

This is also my first time reusing bottles from previous batches, so I guess I am kinda worried there too...even though I starsan'd everything before beer touched it.

It also fermented/bottle conditioned at a very high temperature (no AC, no fridge, just an apt with windows open and it getting up to 90s outside...). Tucked everything away in corners or closets out of light but again...a few of these things worry me a bit.

Let me know!

That ^
What kind of floaties? In the bottles? Are they small pieces of hops from dry hopping or yeast clumps perhaps? Is it sediment from the bottom that pours out?

Remember to clean everything (and rinse off) before using Starsan. You cannot sanitize something that isn't clean in the first place, e.g, you cannot sanitize dirt.

You say you used starsan but you didn't mention actually cleaning the bottles. I would take one of the beers and pour it into a glass. Now take a look at the bottom of the bottle. Is the sediment easily washed out or does the bottle have dried "gunk" at the bottom. If the bottle was clean before starsan was used the sediment should easily be rinsed out.

Keep us posted

Also pour slowly and leave a little in the bottom of the bottle. If you pour it all in you will get the yeast and sediment from the bottom of the bottle. If you did pour aggressively, that is what you have there.

Unless you have an active growth of mold, there is nothing harmful that can live in the beer.

No it's not, ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly :)

This community is so great. So many dedicated home brewers willing to lend out and help with disposing of potentially dangerous liquid. I feel like I’m not pulling my weight and will gladly lend a hand in proper disposal.

I’ve had a few batches with floaties. They were very small particles, but no idea wth they were. Also sometimes yeast gets stuck on the ridges of the bottles when I do bottle condition. Beer was always fine, but not very visually appealing if you were looking close. Once poured I couldn’t see them anymore. Never happens with my kegged brews

I regularly had mysterious floaties in bottles when I used carb drops. Never with sugar of any kind, but nearly always with carb drops.

Back