Is Kern River's Citra DIPA bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
All reviews of that beer seem to suggest that it is not very better and I suspect it is so because of all the late addition hops are masking it. I would like to keep the citrus flavor profile of this beer but make it distinctively bitter. What should I use for bittering hops and how much? Should I just found the amount of the nugget for bittering?

13 lbs 12.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.3 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
12.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 12.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
5.9 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.9 oz Nugget [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.9 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 30 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.9 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.9 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.9 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min
White Labs #WLP001
1.2 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 12 days
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 12 days 0.7 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 9 days
0.9 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Dry Hop 6 days
1.1 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

Citra and similar hops in the boil is a waste. You want to add those in the last 5 minutes of the boil, in a cool 160F whirlpool for 20-30 minutes and dry hop. Boiling hops for more than a few minutes, will not get you hop flavour, but more of a generic hoppiness. If you want a bitter bomb, then go for 50 IBUs at 60 minutes and then add lots of hops in the last 5 minutes of boil and beyond ( whirlpool and dry hop ).

So how do I rearrange this recipe? If I move all the Citra to the end then it might just be too much Citra for late addition. Do I just replace the 30 and 15 min Citra with something else?

Last edited:
keep your nugget where it is.

all my ipa's ill do a citra/simcoe citra/galaxy at like 190f

2oz of each.

All reviews of that beer seem to suggest that it is not very better and I suspect it is so because of all the late addition hops are masking it. I would like to keep the citrus flavor profile of this beer but make it distinctively bitter. What should I use for bittering hops and how much? Should I just found the amount of the nugget for bittering?

What is the recipe that you list? Is that from a clone of the beer? If so, did you already make any changes?

I might be old fashioned since I learned to brew long before the current level of late hops became popular, but I have to say that the idea that hops added to the boil for more than a few minutes do not impart a specific flavor is wrong. Based on my experience, hops added at 10 to 20 minutes add flavor unique to that hop.

I enjoy my beers with hops added to the boil as I feel they have a more full and complex hop balance vs just whirlpool and dry hops...especially in a beer that is more of an IPA than a NEIPA.

I feel like looking at this recipe, it would have a solid amount of bitterness, but you could bump up the Nugget some if you feel it needs more.

What is the recipe that you list? Is that from a clone of the beer? If so, did you already make any changes?

I might be old fashioned since I learned to brew long before the current level of late hops became popular, but I have to say that the idea that hops added to the boil for more than a few minutes do not impart a specific flavor is wrong. Based on my experience, hops added at 10 to 20 minutes add flavor unique to that hop.

I enjoy my beers with hops added to the boil as I feel they have a more full and complex hop balance vs just whirlpool and dry hops...especially in a beer that is more of an IPA than a NEIPA.

I feel like looking at this recipe, it would have a solid amount of bitterness, but you could bump up the Nugget some if you feel it needs more.
Yes it's from a clone. Apparently the bitterness and sweetness balance each other out very well. I might just bump it up to a full 1oz and be done with it.

Last edited:
Back