Is it possible to make my own Malta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luposian

Reaction score
A couple months ago, I tried a beverage called "Malta Hatuey" at a $0.99 store and fell in love with it! It's "a non-alcoholic cereal beverage", according to the label, and the taste reminds me of Post Grape-Nuts, interestingly enough.

I've tried Malta Hatuey, Malta Regal, and Malta India (and, in that order, they are also ranked best to worst, in my taste opinion). I want to try Malta Goya, but Target never seems to stock it, even though there is a shelf spot for it.

In my quest to find better varieties, I thought about trying to make my own and see if I can make a better tasting Malta than those of which I've tried so far.

Any recipes or ideas?

There's two threads in the similar thread's box below.

030b3ba341b1315e54803038f5f74785.gif

Yup, can try using the search function for malta. However, I've looked up what malta is before (someone was drinking it around my area) and I found I would be allergic because it's pretty much what beer is before you ferment it.

This means, of your options, you can make it using malt extracts and malt syrup solids. Or you can make it from malted grain (barley&wheat). Along with any desired extra flavorings including varying the malts (roast level).

This is all I can help with, since I'm allergic and I use sorghum as my beer base, and it does not seem to make an unfermented carbonated drink that I like. I just use cane/beet sugar and flavorings.

After a quick search, there wasn't really too much. I'd go with Revvy's post here from '08 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/non-alcoholic-beer-69357/index2.html One other post had a link to someone's website about malta but the page could no longer be found (even though that website's search could find the blog post) It was linked on January first '11 by none other than Revvy.

Back