Is conditioning grains critical when lodo brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
Seems every lodo brewer conditions their malt before milling, i fully grasp that it makes malt pliable, reduces tannins, better filter bed, but does it have any benefits on reducing oxidation in malt compounds? Clearer wort? Is it a critical step in lodo?

Yeah sorry bout that, i realized i should have posted here instead of there

LODO brewing really emphasizes dough in and mashing. The less powder you have in your crush helps with the oxygen interchange or gives the sulfites a better chance to win more battles. Conditioning helps you grind coarser yielding larger, more intact kernels in the mash. It is not a prerequisite though. I do not condition but choose to grind slow (45 rpm). In the end, don't shred your husks to death and contrary to opinion, you do not need a mashtun full of flour for good efficiency. Better to add more grain than pulverize from a LODO perspective.

Here is a video I did on milling:

LODO brewing really emphasizes dough in and mashing. The less powder you have in your crush helps with the oxygen interchange or gives the sulfites a better chance to win more battles. Conditioning helps you grind coarser yielding larger, more intact kernels in the mash. It is not a prerequisite though. I do not condition but choose to grind slow (45 rpm). In the end, don't shred your husks to death and contrary to opinion, you do not need a mashtun full of flour for good efficiency. Better to add more grain than pulverize from a LODO perspective.

Here is a video I did on milling:

Bro you are the one that helped me on YT, im the one with 1,000 questions 😀 thanks my man

Latest posts

Back