Is Beer Smith worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean... No. I'm not going to just buy something because someone is a nice guy lol. Especially when the reviews from 2 weeks ago say the strike water calculations are off and have been for a long time. So I guess I'm just going to hold off on it.

And really any calculator type program like this IS an excel spreadsheet anyway just with better window dressing. It's also kind of funny to dismiss the DIY approach in a homebrewing forum.

Why create this thread? It’s not a point about whether Brad is a nice guy. Point is he will likely still be supporting the platform in a couple years. Can’t say as much for Pro-mash, Beer Alchemy etc.

Also I call BS on claim the strike water calculator is off. It works just fine on my system.

I mean... No. I'm not going to just buy something because someone is a nice guy lol. Especially when the reviews from 2 weeks ago say the strike water calculations are off and have been for a long time. So I guess I'm just going to hold off on it.

And really any calculator type program like this IS an excel spreadsheet anyway just with better window dressing. It's also kind of funny to dismiss the DIY approach in a homebrewing forum.

I have been using the program for 14 years. If it did not work I would not be here saying to buy it. Is just think the DIY references are out of touch when it comes to a developed software program. There is a lot in this program and to dismiss it and say a new user can re-create it with a spreadsheet is just not realistic.

Last edited:
I have been using the program for 14 years. If it did not work I would not be here saying to buy it. Is just think the DIY references are out of touch when it comes to a developed software program. There is a lot in this program and to dismiss it and say a new user with re-create it with a spreadsheet is just not realistic.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Sorry I should have reiterated I was referring to the beer Smith mobile app. Apparently the calculations for strike water are not good in the app. I understand the experience might be better in the pc version, but at this point I just rely on my movie devices

The answer to the OP's question is of course, yes, BS is definitely worth $20 and I personally would pay twice that much after having used it several years if I had to buy it again.

However it is not perfect and thankfully there are other alternatives if you don't like it. FWIW, almost everyone in my homebrew club uses it as do two of the three small brewery owners I know.

Isn't the paid version of Brewers Friend now at $20 per year?

BF = $20 per year, BS = $20 - $28 once depending on where you buy it.
True you could but BF has unique benefits that BS doesn't, such as ability to access the full program features anywhere with a browser. For those that have a smartphone, that's everywhere.

For the cost of less than a batch a year, I can create a recipe on a lunch break, or check my inventory in the LHBS. Especially important when the closet LHBS is over an hour drive away.

Well I went ahead an bought it:) didn't think there would he this much conversation and passion in this topic. Thanks for all the feedback and happy brewing!

Beersmith is ok, but it is not free. I have just created a new innovative calculation tool, feel free to check it out and leave feedback to me! You will find it at beerlad,com

Also, in regards to the strike temp - you really have to take the temp of your grains and input that in.

Beersmith is ok, but it is not free. I have just created a new innovative calculation tool, feel free to check it out and leave feedback to me! You will find it at beerlad,com
I don't see anything innovative. just another web app. a real pain if you need to work disconnected etc.

If your calculations are off then you don't have your profiles set up properly. You either create a custom profile from scratch or you pick the one in the profile list that is closest to your own and then you make volume and weight measurements to make it match your system exactly. Once you do that then your numbers will much more reliable.

I tend to brew more intuitively. When I bought BS for my tablet, I never liked the interface, and it seemed really clunky. I have no idea about the true efficiency of my rig. I generally guess at about 70-75%. For recipe formulation I use tastybrew.com, they have a really simple full recipe calculator that gets me into the ballpark for grains and hops. I guess it would be nice to have a strike water calc because I am always guessing and adjusting to get the mash temp right. At sometime in the future I may buy the PC version, but I need to get a PC first. LOL :mug:

I tend to brew more intuitively. When I bought BS for my tablet, I never liked the interface, and it seemed really clunky. I have no idea about the true efficiency of my rig. I generally guess at about 70-75%. For recipe formulation I use tastybrew.com, they have a really simple full recipe calculator that gets me into the ballpark for grains and hops. I guess it would be nice to have a strike water calc because I am always guessing and adjusting to get the mash temp right. At sometime in the future I may buy the PC version, but I need to get a PC first. LOL :mug:

The mobile version is not nearly as robust or user friendly. I needed to make some basic changes on the fly while brewing this past Sunday and there are some basic edits that you cannot make on the mobile version. I just wanted to change one hop addition from 60 minutes to FWH and coudln't. PC version....well worth the money. Mobile version... meh.

Back