Is 4" big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
I've got a couple of decommissioned kegs (bent chimes/handles and bent spear neck) that I am keen to turn one into a fermenter with just a simple larger TC replacing the existing spear neck (since is it busted and on the piss anyway).
Looking at TCs there is a huge price jump from a 4" to a 6" ferrule and associated parts, so 4" would be preferable. But I am worried that 4" won't be big enough to get my arm in there to clean it by hand if needed. I'm middle if the road build - not skinny but not buff - so anyone else with 4" TCs... is 4" big enough?

go to the hardware store and fine a 4" pvc coupler and stick your arm in it. that said i would say yes. depends on how you really plan to clean. for my pin lock kegs i made a scrubber out of some 1" plastic conduit and long pads of scotch brite and attached to a cordless drill. there is also chemicals that would do the job even easier.

go to the hardware store and fine a 4" pvc coupler and stick your arm in it. that said i would say yes. depends on how you really plan to clean. for my pin lock kegs i made a scrubber out of some 1" plastic conduit and long pads of scotch brite and attached to a cordless drill. there is also chemicals that would do the job even easier.
Yeah the other thing I want to build is a Keg CIP cart so mostly will be using chemical cleaning by the time I have the fermenter done. Just wanted the option to get in there with my arm to get at any stubborn gunk if it need to.

Consider mounting the keg upside down and use the existing sanke neck as a bottom drain. Place the large TC fitting on the bottom of the keg which will then be the top of your fermenter.

Consider mounting the keg upside down and use the existing sanke neck as a bottom drain. Place the large TC fitting on the bottom of the keg which will then be the top of your fermenter.
I would like to but the neck is bent so I need to cut it out (it's one of the reasons the keg was decommissioned and sold).

If you're set on welding on the TC ferrule, I'd go with 6". I've done 4" and its limits the size of the brush you can fit inside, as well as number of fittings to weld into the lid (ball lock posts, prvs, smaller 1" or 2" ferrules. But to be honest, I have (2) 6" ferrules and lids collecting dust that I planned to make kegmenters out of a few years ago and still haven't. The 2" opening on sankeys is plenty room to attached a tri clamp tee, then various ball lock fittings and floating dip tube to create a fantastic unitank fermenter without any modification. The thread in my signature shows what I came up with and I'm really happy with it.

I soak mine in hot oxi clean free for an hour then spay the inside with my pressure washer rinse well and star san solution for 10 mins works good for me. I find the key is once there done don't let them sit long before cleaning.

More encouragement to go with 6”…
IMG_7511.jpeg

Back