Grains of Paradise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
At a restaurant recently I had been drinking Sam Adams Boston Lager. I ordered another beer, and was brought their Summer Ale. I decided to try it, and was impressed with it as I don't generally care a whole for wheat beers.

Looking at Sam Adam's site it states that they use Grains of Paradise. I can't seem to find it in either of the places I buy from. Is there another name for it? What is it?

I sent Sam Adam's an email asking for more info on that beer as it states on their site that it has a mere 7 IBU's, which seems like a typo to me. I felt it had a good hop presence, and a friend claimed it had 30 something IBU's. 7 isn't even to style...

I'd like to make something like this next time I make a wheat beer.

I can't answer any of your questions, but I tried their Summer Ale at a restaurant just last night and I agree, it is one fine beer. I do agree that the 7 seems incorrect.

I can't stop thinking about it! And I'm not a wheat fan my any means, though a white IPA is nice.

My home brew store has grains of paradise and what a flavor. I told the owner I just brewed a lemon wheat and he had me try some of the grains and wow. Just like he said a strong peppery taste followed by citrus. I wish I used some in my lemon wheat. Which by the way is around 15 ibu so that might not be far off. Sam Adams summer is a lemon wheat with grains of paradise

Peppery taste, huh? That sounds very intriguing! I might just need to find someone who carries it so I can try it. Who do you deal with?

Well I'm in western mass my homebrew store is diy brewing they have a website not sure if they ship I shop in store. Great taste though very strong I was thinking of adding to an ipa to try something different

I see that I wasn't looking in the right place. "Grains" of Paradise isn't a grain, but a spice seed, and I can get it locally!

Grains of paradise are available from any homebrew establsiment. They're ubiquitous to witbiers. You can also SOMETIMES find it in African marketplaces and some bulk food stores.

You basically give them a slight crush and add them in the last 15 minutes of the boil...There's more info in the similar threads box below.

Back