brewing magazines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
All,

I may be opening myself to criticism by admitting that I currently do not subscribe to any home brewing magazines. I've realized lately that, the more I get into the hobby, the more I want to learn. So I've reached the point where I think that I'd like to start getting a magazine but would like to limit myself to just one subscription, for the time being.

The two that I am looking are Brew Your Own and Zymurgy and I wanted to check in here, first, and get everyone's thoughts as to which would be the better choice. is one better than the other? is there something else you would recommend?

any suggestions/input are definitely appreciated.

Thanks!

They are both great magazines. Personally I think Brew Your Own is more detail oriented for the home brewer and writes to both the new brewer and the expert brewer. However, when you get Zymurgy, you are not just subscribing to the magazine, you are becoming a member of the American Homebrewer's Association, which has several benefits such as their pub discount program (if any places that offer it are in your area), the ability to enter AHA only competitions, etc.

If you have a Barnes and Noble in your area, pick up copies of both and see which you like better.

IMO Both are about 70% advertising. I get more useful info here that I ever did in both magazines combined, and do so without paying for a collection of advertising.

Personally I like Zymurgy better, and the pub discount program usually pays for the membership over the course of a year. I do get BYO also

I do like the fact that Zymurgy also gives you the benefit of being an AHA member, even though I don't know how much good that would do me, for now. I doubt that many places around where I live would participate in their discount program and I'm certainly not ready to be getting involved in any competitions, yet.

being that it's the magazine for AHA, I guess I didn't think that you'd be able to buy Zymurgy without joining, but I may definitely look into that.

Thanks for the insight!

I do like the fact that Zymurgy also gives you the benefit of being an AHA member, even though I don't know how much good that would do me, for now. I doubt that many places around where I live would participate in their discount program and I'm certainly not ready to be getting involved in any competitions, yet.

being that it's the magazine for AHA, I guess I didn't think that you'd be able to buy Zymurgy without joining, but I may definitely look into that.

Thanks for the insight!

Most homebrew shops offer 10% off for being an AHA member. The membership pays for itself.

Thanks for the insight!

They have a map on their website showing where you can get a discount, if that helps.

Latest posts

Back