What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WesleyS said:
In my opinion, it lives up to the hype. Definitely one of the best IPAs out there.
Completely opposite of Pliny. With Pliny, it's lots of hype but only an average IPA at best.

Honestly, my take on Heady is yes it is an incredible IPA. I do feel like if there wasn't hype surrounding it I may have enjoyed it more. Surly Abrasive was an incredible experience for me because I didn't know that much about it. I feel like Heady and Abrasive are about on the same level. I may need to try Heady again to be sure about my impression but I wasn't blown away like I was the first time I tried Abrasive. Maybe I'm just a beer hipster.

Schweinsbrau Gold. Picked it up because I loved the label, VERY tasty beer!!

image-1987378191.jpg

Pretty smooth for scotch al.

Tastes of sweet malt, brown sugar, toffee, caramel, toasted grains, dark fruit, raisin, yeast, coriander, cinnamon, tea leaf and alcohol like bourbon or whiskey; it has some heat, but the malty sweetness covers it up well with a variety of flavors that combine for a sugary grainy brew that almost tastes like mead.

Dang it forgot the picture

xMalachi said:
Honestly, my take on Heady is yes it is an incredible IPA. I do feel like if there wasn't hype surrounding it I may have enjoyed it more. Surly Abrasive was an incredible experience for me because I didn't know that much about it. I feel like Heady and Abrasive are about on the same level. I may need to try Heady again to be sure about my impression but I wasn't blown away like I was the first time I tried Abrasive. Maybe I'm just a beer hipster.

Abrasive is amazing as well. And I agree with you that it's right up there with Heady. But I guess my point was that Heady is one that actually lives up to the hype unlike a certain west coast IPA everyone wets themselves over. ;)

NIZZLE said:
Pretty smooth for scotch al.

Tastes of sweet malt, brown sugar, toffee, caramel, toasted grains, dark fruit, raisin, yeast, coriander, cinnamon, tea leaf and alcohol like bourbon or whiskey; it has some heat, but the malty sweetness covers it up well with a variety of flavors that combine for a sugary grainy brew that almost tastes like mead.

Dang it forgot the picture

Had it on tap at the brewery. It was my first scotch ale. Loved it.

I was gonna look through all the posts I missed, but that's 51 pages. that would take away from my beer pouring time. my Zythos IPA keg kicked last night, but I still have some I bottled. had a Goosetown from Schell's, the 565 side of the Saison split, now I'm having a Surly Over Rated.

Ostomo517 said:
Seems you have a horrible selection over there for being in Michigan

Great selection, actually. The only things I've ever had issue with are:

1) in the few past two months since I first tasted scotch ale, I haven't noticed Dirty Bastard anywhere.

2) Founders IPA's always seem old.

I'm up to my ears in Great Lakes, Bells, Atwater, Founders, Shorts, New Holland, etc.

I pass the Twisted Rooster on Hall every day, which has all Michigan craft beers on tap, and I'm a hop, skip and a jump away from Dragonmead.

Swarley88 said:
No kidding, Founders should be in every store there.

Founders is everywhere...just not that brew. The pizza joint down the street carries Breakfast Stout, All Day IPA, Centennial...I think Dirty Bastard sells too fast. I see it on tap all the time, too, but it's always sold out (that was the case at The Mitt, in Mount Clemens, last weekend).

Swarley88 said:
Nice, matching glass and all.

It really dresses up the presentation with the matching brewery's glass. Thanks for that as well!
This beer is really good. I'm a huge fan of coffee and beer together as one, so I'm really enjoying it.

Founders is everywhere...just not that brew. The pizza joint down the street carries Breakfast Stout, All Day IPA, Centennial...I think Dirty Bastard sells too fast. I see it on tap all the time, too, but it's always sold out (that was the case at The Mitt, in Mount Clemens, last weekend).

Ahh I see. It's a great brew, but I wouldn't mind it too much not too have it around all the time. I buy a six pack every few months but that's about it.

It really dresses up the presentation with the matching brewery's glass. Thanks for that as well!
This beer is really good. I'm a huge fan of coffee and beer together as one, so I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah I love it. The coffee comes through so much in both the aroma and taste.

Swarley88 said:
Ahh I see. It's a great brew, but I wouldn't mind it too much not too have it around all the time. I buy a six pack every few months but that's about it.

I'm really just starting to come out of my Bells shell. Up until this past winter, if I saw Bells, I wasn't buying anything else. I'm broadening my horizons.

I'm really just starting to come out of my Bells shell. Up until this past winter, if I saw Bells, I wasn't buying anything else. I'm broadening my horizons.

Well I can't blame ya, Bells is awesome. You and us (Minnesota) have some great breweries popping up. I was just reading about some od your breweries in The Growler which is a nifty beer magazine round here.

Swarley88 said:
Well I can't blame ya, Bells is awesome. You and us (Minnesota) have some great breweries popping up. I was just reading about some od your breweries in The Growler which is a nifty beer magazine round here.

I bought my first brew kit from Bells 20 years ago. Wish we would have stuck with it. We made two batches of crappy beer and quit it. I didn't brew again until this past winter. So many years doing silly things like going to school, working, building a family...when I could have been brewing.

In topic with this thread...I've switched to my blonde.

Carb test Sour brown ale with cocoa, not nearly carbed enough ( I knew it wasnt but wanted one :mug:)
Some nice cocoa peeking through
ForumRunner_20130514_212210.jpg

Back