IPL recipe critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
I recently had an IPL that Sam Adams makes and loved it. So naturally I want to brew one! This is what SA has listed on their website:

HOP VARIETIES
Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops

MALT VARIETIES
Samuel Adams® two-row pale malt blend and Munich malt

YEAST STRAIN
Botton-fermenting Lager

COLOR
Bright amber / 10 SRM

SPECIAL INGREDIENTS
ALC. BY VOL/WT
5.0%ABV - 3.9%ABW

IBUs

This is what I came up with. I'm not looking to clone it, I just want something that's similar and more importantly...some delicious brew!!! I'm VERY new to designing recipes, but I'm addicted since I made another recipe! I read that the normal 7 day was dry hop isn't necessary and can actually be achieved in a day or two. So I opted for a three day dry hop.

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American IPL
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.054
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.58%
IBU (tinseth): 44.39
SRM (morey): 10.22

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Amber - (late addition) (42.1%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (21.1%)
2 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Amber (21.1%)
8 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.3%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (10.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.2
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.8
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.28
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.11
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Aroma for 0 min
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Aroma for 0 min
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Aroma for 0 min
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 3 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - American Lager Yeast WLP840
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 77.5%
Flocculation: medium
Optimum Temp: 50-55
Fermentation Temp: 50*F

The amber extract likely has crystal 60 so you may want to stick with just light extract, or light plus some munich extract if you can find it. I think it's usually 50/50 munich and pale. The hop schedule looks good to me.

The amber extract likely has crystal 60 so you may want to stick with just light extract, or light plus some munich extract if you can find it. I think it's usually 50/50 munich and pale. The hop schedule looks good to me.

Good to know! I will adjust for that. My LHBS carries Munich LME and dry as well. So I'll have to do that and adjust the Munich grains to get to color if it's not around 10 srm's? I need to look into what they use to make extracts so I understand what's goin into my brew. Thanks a ton for the help!

That's always the trick with converting to/from colored extract, most manufacturer's don't list the percentages and sometimes not even the ingredients at all. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the calculated SRM, that may be hard to match exactly. I wonder if they could be doing a decoction mash, I think that may darken the wort a little but I don't know enough about it.
:mug:

That's always the trick with converting to/from colored extract, most manufacturer's don't list the percentages and sometimes not even the ingredients at all. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the calculated SRM, that may be hard to match exactly. I wonder if they could be doing a decoction mash, I think that may darken the wort a little but I don't know enough about it.
:mug:

I suppose its not a bad thing for it to be a bit lighter. More than likely it'll come out a bit darker than calculated anyways. Mine always seem to no matter what I do. I have done some research about all grain and I have seen people explain a decoction mash, but I have no idea why you do it or what it does. I'm puttin together my keezer really soon and I have 4 empty cornys that need filling :D so I'm comin up with some recipes to brew up to fill it. I'll adjust to light LME and brew this one up! It may be my second or third batch down the line...unfortunately I don't have the ability to control the fermentation for more than one batch at a time. Soon enough though. Thanks again for the help. I don't think I would have liked it with a bunch of crystal 60 in it. I'm not a huge fan of going heavy on crystal. I like to use other malts that add more malt character rather than the added sweetness of the crystal.

There was a clone recipe for this in byo magazine. I can take a look for it tomorrow if you like

That's right I forgot about that article - the double agent IPL right? The grain bill is 69% pale/31% munich. For the extract version they list 3.3 lb light LME, 3.3 lb munich LME, 0.7lb light DME.

oh and single infusion mash at 153 for all grain

That's right I forgot about that article - the double agent IPL right? The grain bill is 69% pale/31% munich. For the extract version they list 3.3 lb light LME, 3.3 lb munich LME, 0.7lb light DME.

oh and single infusion mash at 153 for all grain

Awesome!! Even better!! Thanks :mug:

I may have to search for that and give it a go!!

So after looking at the BYO issue I've made some changes. I used similar hops and changed the amounts. I hopped it up quite a bit more and upped the OG a little bit to compensate for it. With some more research on other breweries brewing this style, I decided to try and keep a typical IPA recipe and use a nice clean lager yeast instead of an ale yeast. What do you think? I haven't brewed an IPA yet and I loved brewing my last lager.

Edit: If you noticed, I tried to use the hops in ounce increments so I don't have any leftover. Assuming the hops I buy will come in ounce packages.

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: India Pale Lager
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.057
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.15%
IBU (tinseth): 64.42
SRM (morey): 9.47

FERMENTABLES:
4.6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (43.4%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (18.9%)
2 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (18.9%)
8 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.7%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (4.7%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (9.4%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.14
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.62
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.67
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 10.2
0.75 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 3.39
0.75 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 7.26
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 4.03
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 4.1
0.75 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 3 day's
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 qt, Dough in @165*F.
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 6 qt, Pour over grains into brew pot with a strainer.

YEAST:
White Labs - American Lager Yeast WLP840
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 77.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 50 - 55 F
Fermentation Temp: 50 F

NOTES:
Make a 2L starter with 7.2 oz DME fermented @ 50 for 3 days and crash cooled for 3 days. Decant and step up to a 3L starter with 10.9 oz DME.

Back