IPA fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystoner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just brewed my first batch last night, an india pale ale. Today there is plenty of bubbling coming from the airlock, however, I am worried about the temperature. The recipe says to store the fermenter in a dark, temperature-controlled place between 64-72 degrees fahrenheit. I have the AC down to the high 60s-low 70s in my house, but the thermometer on my fermenter reads 78. is there anything i can do to lower the temperature? will this negatively effect the final product? any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

I think your fine. But you can put the bucket in a rubbermade tote and add ice and water. Cover the fermenter with a shirt dangle the shirt in the water and let the cold water wick up the sides of the fermenter. Works killer!

Cheers
Jay

78 is too warm for an IPA, definitely get the primary in a water bath-search Swamp Cooler as described briefly by the previous post and you should be able to get the temps down into the 60's. You can use ice or frozen 2 liter bottles to chill the water and rotate them as necessary.

You will want to keep this going for at least the first week of active fermentation. Do not be surprised if things slow down when the temperature drops, normal as the yeast will shock a bit as they acclimate themselves to the cooler environment:)

duboman said:
78 is too warm for an IPA, definitely get the primary in a water bath-search Swamp Cooler as described briefly by the previous post and you should be able to get the temps down into the 60's. You can use ice or frozen 2 liter bottles to chill the water and rotate them as necessary.

You will want to keep this going for at least the first week of active fermentation. Do not be surprised if things slow down when the temperature drops, normal as the yeast will shock a bit as they acclimate themselves to the cooler environment:)

This

Keep in mind fermentation creates heat - you'll need a water bath or some other cooling method for most styles unless you like the house cold! Best improvements you can make on your beer is fermentation temp control. Get it down in the mid 60's and you'll notice a big jump in quality on your beers.

makomachine said:
This

Keep in mind fermentation creates heat - you'll need a water bath or some other cooling method for most styles unless you like the house cold! Best improvements you can make on your beer is fermentation temp control. Get it down in the mid 60's and you'll notice a big jump in quality on your beers.

Forgot to add - if you can't do that going forward, try brewing a saison. They are fermented warmer and are one of the few styles that 78F or warmer is ideal.

Get a large bin, fill with large ice blocks, cold water, salt. Add the primary to this bucket. Wrap wet towel around it and blow a fan on the towel. Keep away from sunlight and rest it in the coldest area of your house. Wet the towel and replenish the ice as necessary. (A drain valve on the bottom of the bucket would help immensely... especially if you don't have to move the bin to drain it).

The strip thermometer on the side of the carboy will read approx. 3-8 degrees F hotter than actual active fermentation temperature.

You can do all these ridiculous, but semi-effective steps, or brew exclusively in the Fall/Winter... or get a very cool, dry basement with a cement floor... or invest in a temp. regulated chest cooler.

I keep a bunch of 1 liter soda bottles filled with water in the freezer. Use them as needed to chill down the fermenter and maintain temps. Refreeze the bottles as necessary.

thanks a lot guys. i put the fermenting bucket into a large bin with cold water, ice, and salt. i wrapped a wet towel around the bucket and put a fan aiming onto it. i guess its worth noting that the lid looked like it was ready to blow off. but when i put the fermenter into the cold water, the bubbling seemed to slow down considerably.

keystoner said:
thanks a lot guys. i put the fermenting bucket into a large bin with cold water, ice, and salt. i wrapped a wet towel around the bucket and put a fan aiming onto it. i guess its worth noting that the lid looked like it was ready to blow off. but when i put the fermenter into the cold water, the bubbling seemed to slow down considerably.

You fermenting in a bucket with an airlock?

keystoner said:
Might make sure your airlock isn't clogged. Had a lid pop mess early in my brewing career with a clogged airlock - sprayed everywhere, including the ceiling! Shouldn't have bulging if the gas can escape freely.

ok my airlock was definitely clogged. i had to rinse out the airlock and re-fill it with water. did i risk contamination by doing this?

Typically i fill the air lock with starsan and then sanitize the stem that goes into the fermentor.
That said, you'll probably be ok with water.

Dave

keystoner said:
just an update, i checked the temp on the fermenter and it read 64. there is pretty much no bubbling occurring.

No worries - just watch the temp and the yeast will do the rest. You may need a blow off tube - just make sure it doesn't clog and you'll be fine.

the temperature has been a steady 64 f for a few hours now. still no bubbling. the water i put into the airlock seems to have gone down. ill check back on it tomorrow morning.

keystoner said:
the temperature has been a steady 64 f for a few hours now. still no bubbling. the water i put into the airlock seems to have gone down. ill check back on it tomorrow morning.

It'll be fine! The yeast got a little shocked from a 10 degree temp change but it will adjust and get busy again, just leave it alone and try and maintain the mid 60 temperature, your beer will be awesome!

still no bubbling occurring. did i shock the yeast too much? it was bubbling like crazy until i put it in the swamp cooler.

keystoner said:
still no bubbling occurring. did i shock the yeast too much? it was bubbling like crazy until i put it in the swamp cooler.

No bubbling meaning your airlock? That's not a good indication of fermentation as buckets leak co2.

yea there is no bubbling in the airlock. it was bubbling so vigorously yesterday that my airlock got clogged. and when i took the airlock out to clean it out, a lot of what i assume was co2 shot out of the grommet hole. i have a pic from when it was bubbling yesterday and ill take one of how it looks now.

Gently press on the lid and then slowly twist your airlock if that doesn't work - my guess is it's just escaping through a leak somewhere - not a critical issue and wouldnt do anything at this point.

in regards to the photos below, the one with the airlock with bubbles was taken yesterday prior to the swamp bath. and the close up of the airlock with no bubbles was just taken today, still in the swamp bath. ill try pressing on the lid and twisting the airlock.

fermentingbubbles.jpeg

fermentnobubbles.jpg

in regards to the photos below, the one with the airlock with bubbles was taken yesterday prior to the swamp bath. and the close up of the airlock with no bubbles was just taken today, still in the swamp bath. ill try pressing on the lid and twisting the airlock.

Fill up the airlock more, to that almost invisible little line, and it'll be fine. Even if it doesn't bubble, it'll be fine. :mug:

Just walk away, watch the Olympics, twiddle your thumbs, play Chess, get drunk! Do something to get that brew off your mind.

Like everyone else said, It's Fine.

thanks! i refilled the airlock and the temperature is at 66 f now. i have another question. according to the "brewers best" ingredient kit recipe i used, it said within 24 hours of pitching yeast and securing the lid and airlock, fermentation would have started and within 4-6 days the bubbling would slow down until i see no more co2 being released. when no bubbles have occurred for 48 hours i am to take a final gravity reading. the next step is bottling and after another 2 weeks, the beer will be carbonated and fully fermented. does this mean that i am only letting it sit in the fermenting bucket for the 4-6 days before bottling? i expected it to be longer. it does say that i can employ two-stage fermentation with a 5 gallon carboy (i do already have one) after 5-7 days and then once transferring to the carboy waiting 2 weeks before bottling.

thanks! i refilled the airlock and the temperature is at 66 f now. i have another question. according to the "brewers best" ingredient kit recipe i used, it said within 24 hours of pitching yeast and securing the lid and airlock, fermentation would have started and within 4-6 days the bubbling would slow down until i see no more co2 being released. when no bubbles have occurred for 48 hours i am to take a final gravity reading. the next step is bottling and after another 2 weeks, the beer will be carbonated and fully fermented. does this mean that i am only letting it sit in the fermenting bucket for the 4-6 days before bottling? i expected it to be longer. it does say that i can employ two-stage fermentation with a 5 gallon carboy (i do already have one) after 5-7 days and then once transferring to the carboy waiting 2 weeks before bottling.

Personally, I'd leave a beer like that in the primary for 10-14 days, no secondary and then package. 2-3 weeks is a great guideline for a standard ale, that will ensure fermentation and clean up have taken place and the beer will be clear or almost clear at that point. Carefully rack from primary to the bottling bucket with priming solution already in it, and bottle. 2-3 weeks at room temp for the bottles, then another few days in the fridge to allow the co2 to dissolve into the beer.
Secondary is an optional step for most ales, and is mainly used for clarifying beer or adding post fermentation additions such as oak, fruit, spices or dry hops and even then, dry hopping can be done right in the primary vessel after FG is reached.

wow ok thanks a lot nordeastbrewer77! that was really helpful and informative. im gonna stop bugging you guys and worrying so much about this batch and just relax. there is a homebrew club meeting at my local bar tonight, cant wait to check it out.

I just finished that kit and I would highly recommend using the carboy. The only thing I did differently was an addition of Pineapple. It stayed in the carboy for 3 weeks and it turned into a beautifully clear amber color. It needed another week because all of the sugar in the pineapple caused a vigorous fermentation but man it was worth the wait!

I just finished that kit and I would highly recommend using the carboy. The only thing I did differently was an addition of Pineapple. It stayed in the carboy for 3 weeks and it turned into a beautifully clear amber color. It needed another week because all of the sugar in the pineapple caused a vigorous fermentation but man it was worth the wait!

dude i really wanted to do a pineapple ipa! ive never had one but ive had a mango ipa and it was delicious. i might have to message you sometime once ive got a better hang of all this and ask u more about how u added the pineapple and such.

Sure its easy. I used a juicer but guys have used just chunked pineapple in the secondary. Be careful as it its very high in sugar and the yeast will attack it and foam out of the carboy. Remove the airlock and insert your siphon tube into the rubber stoper drain into a bucket.

im probably gonna wait a few weeks to try and make it. i want to finish this batch up and then do another ipa using my carboy and then try the pineapple ipa. if you dont mind explaining to me now how you went about it so i have this to reference from in a few weeks, that would be great. did you use the brewers best ipa kit with the 3 oz cascade and 1.5 oz columbus?

Latest posts

Back