Pliny the Elder PM clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
For my first partial mash I brewed a 1 gallon Pliny the Younger clone, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted so I figured I'd step it down and try to do a 1 gallon Pliny the Elder clone. Here is the recipe:

2 lbs 2-row
1.5 oz C15
Mash at 150*
8 oz DME
17.5g CTZ @ 90
3.5g CTZ @ 45
5.6g Simcoe @ 30
5.6g Centennial @ 0
14g Simcoe @ 0
2 oz Sucrose
60 billion cells WLP090
OG 1.075

I decided to split this batch in half for some more experimentation. I have had great results with 1 gallon IPAs by letting them ferment in the kettle with all the spent hops. I get close to 90% attenuation in less than a week, I dry hop them for a week in a secondary fermenter, and they carb up perfectly in less than a week after that. I poured half the batch through a strainer and am fermenting that in a gallon glass jug, while I am fermenting the other half in the kettle.

Gravity was down to 1.012 after 3 days and 1.009 after 7 days. Transferred to secondary for dry hopping.

Dry Hop 1
5.6g CTZ
5.6g Simcoe
5.6g Centennial
1.8g Amarillo

Everything turned out great. I really can't tell much of a difference between the 2 iterations flavor-wise, but the one I fermented in the kettle with the spent hops ended up carbonating faster, and I actually strained it when I transferred it to secondary for dry-hopping. I have no idea why that is, but I had a feeling that's what it was, so I guess I will not strain before primary fermentation from now on since I don't feel like waiting 3 weeks for my beer to carb up.

Back