Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble95

Reaction score
hello, I am trying to brew a honey wheat ale. I used 1 lb of buckwheat honey at five minutes left in the boil. I would like a hint of honey in the finish but do not want the beer sweet. I tasted it out of the primary as I was transferring it and there was no taste of honey at all. It is however, a very pretty honey color. Wondering if I bottle with honey will any of that flavor transfer?

Here is the recipe that I used I was afraid to use honey malt because I heard that it could make the beer sweet.

1 lb Buckwheat Honey (1.0 SRM) Five minutes left in the boil
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
6 lbs 9.6 oz Bavarian Wheat Extract
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
1.50 oz Fuggles Added one minute left in the boil.
1.0 pkg East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008)

The amount of honey you would use to prime your bottles is so minimal that the flavor impact would be negligible. You said you didn't use Honey Malt out of fear of making your beer too sweet, but the simple fact is, that's the single best (easiest) way to impart a honey-like flavor to a beer. I used 8 oz in a very light and crisp Blonde Ale, it wasn't perceived as sweet by anyone and had a very nice honeyness to it.

I would agree, I see a lot of posts on here hypersensitive about using honey malt. Ive used it a few times with great honey flavor. Although in your situation now, give your beer a little extra time after bottling I think you may see a little more of the honey flavor coming through.

Yes, I usually put 6 to 8oz of honey malt into any beer that I would like a little honey flavor. I have tried the honey, but for the most part all it does is ferment out into alcohol. You might get a hint of honey if you prime with it.

Okay I just transfered it to secondary last night. If I dropped about a half of an oz of honey malt into it would that be enough or should I just wait until the next batch. Never used honey malt o I don't know how intense it is.

Okay I just transfered it to secondary last night. If I dropped about a half of an oz of honey malt into it would that be enough or should I just wait until the next batch. Never used honey malt o I don't know how intense it is.

Next batch, its gotta be mashed like the other grains. If you drop raw grains in all your likely to do it cause a lacto infection.

I agree with what everyone else said. I'll just add that when using fermentables made of simple sugars such as honey, corn sugar, etc. it will typically add dryness to your final product as opposed to imparting flavors or sweetness.

Okay new question. I used WLP008 East Coast Yeast. The yeast has stopped fermenting at 1.022 and I need it to be at least 1.015. I was told that I could add more yeast to restart it, but I am not sure how much or if there is another solution. Any help?

The only time I've gotten a honey flavor is using honey malt. The most I've ever used is 8 oz and it wasn't overbearing. I used 4 oz for my last Galaxy Pale Ale and it had a nice subtle honey taste to it that calmed some of the bitterness from the Galaxy hops.

I'm going to have to try this. I love wheat beers, and am making Belgian Wit beer, using light DME and grains. I bet a really light Wit beer with honey malt would be good!

Latest posts

Back