Dry Hopping While Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dry hopping takes longer at colder temperatures, just like most things the oils are less soluble at colder temperatures so you won't get as much bang for your buck. I've dryhopped in the keg before and it can take several weeks before you get a noticeable effect (although that does extend the drinkable life of hoppier beers).

I get much better results hopping at room temps then cold crashing them out. But I've dryhopped while cold crashing before, and also have done it considerably in the keg at cold temps. It'll work. JGM has it right.

Sounds like I just ramp up the temp then again. I started dry-hopping Saturday and gradually lower the temp to 19 °C (in secondary). What temp would be best for dry hopping in the secondary?

dry hopping takes longer at colder temperatures, just like most things the oils are less soluble at colder temperatures so you won't get as much bang for your buck. I've dryhopped in the keg before and it can take several weeks before you get a noticeable effect (although that does extend the drinkable life of hoppier beers).

ive done the same as jgm said with an all citra ipa and it turned out fantastic. it has worked out well for me.

ive done the same as jgm said with an all citra ipa and it turned out fantastic. it has worked out well for me.

Thanks! Problem is I don't keg and wanted to bottle this week. I'm doing the Kräusen method so I'm already preparing everything to bottle on Thursday. Guess due to the lack of time i'll go back to 70-72 °F?

I like to cold crash and the raise then temp up to 60° or so to dry hop in the fermenter. I'll cold crash again before kegging to drop the dry hops and usually dry hop in the keg as well for hoppy beers.

Back