Party Tap leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdragon

Reaction score
First time kegging, ever. I got some kegging equipment for my birthday a couple weeks ago and in perfect timing, my IPA and Porter were ready to be kegged.

Cleaning and sanitization - no issues, no leaks. I spent a good several days scouring the web on different components of kegging and then spent a good hour getting PBW solution and star-san solution on the floor and cabinets of my kitchen (it's only water, right?) as I learned how the kegs connected and how it all worked, checking for CO2 leaks, etc.

Oh, the party tap was ON? Thank god it didn't spew beer all over the cabinets.​

Ouch, now I know why they say "don't attach the party tap while force carbing".​

When I finally got the hang of it, I had two kegs cleaned, sanitized, and pressurized with star-san solution running through the lines, no leaks at all. Emptied the star stan solution, let it dry, kegged a beer in each keg, and put them both in my garage fridge for a week.

Now today was the day of revelation. I was so excited because my bottled beers kept coming out with an off-taste which I've narrowed down to the bottles.

I connected the QD for my Porter. No problems. Just a little too much foam, PSI set to 12 so I set the pressure to 10 (dual regulator), and released the pressure in the keg. The lines is 6' so if it continues, I'll pick up a 10'.

Moving on, I connected the QD for my IPA. Instantly, the beer almost pushed out through the line and out of the party tap (and yes, it was closed). Thinking it could be over carbonation, I set the PSI to 10, released the pressure, gave it a good 30 minutes, tried it again - same thing.

It's not leaking from the poppet.

I'm heading out but when I get back, I'm going to disconnect the QD from the Porter and then connect it to the IPA, see what happens.

Any other ideas though? I did read an article to try swapping the poppets between kegs, I can try that but I only have 2 kegs and both are filled. Do I need to depressurize the keg first before taking the poppets off? But for some reason, my instincts are telling me it's not the equipment but instead, the beer is over-carbed.

OG was 1.064, FG 1.020 - kegged it on May 19th, force carb'ed for 8 days at 12 PSI.

Much appreciated!

I figured this out. The party tap itself was not screwed on fully so I tightened it up and all's well.

Latest posts

Back