White Foam on pre-yeast wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranord

Reaction score
Last Saturday I brewed up a cream ale. When I went to add my starter yeast I banged the flask on the side of the carboy and it broke sending yeast all over the ground. (That wasn't the worst as I dropped my iPhone in the mash tun right after adding 166 F water.)

So Sunday I go buy another pack of yeast and get a starter going. Tonight I go to add the yeast and there is white foam on the wort and it doesn't smell to good. Is this some wild yeast that might have gotten into the wort or the remnant of the iPhone dunking, :)?

Thanks

Roger

Sorry to say that yes this could be contamination- either bacteria or maybe a wild yeast.
I would probably add the yeast and hope that it can outperform the contaminant. Good Luck!

Yea I did add the yeast, don't have another use for my carboy for a few weeks so what the heck. Gotta say though it didn't smell to inviting. Wouldn't be the first, nor the last, that heads for the drain.

Back