Just sharing my beer engine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
While living in Scotland for a few years back in the early 2000's, I picked up this referb'ed Angram engine. Just brought it out of storage. Cant wait to put my next mild on it. Going tomorrow to pick up some Bev-seal ultra to try and put together a permanent cooler/cabinet to set this up long term. Due to my cask ale beliefs I went with the southern spout when I bought it, but unfortunately I am going to have to run a breather with it to get the most out of my kegs:eek:

P1050098.jpg

All set up and working perfect. Using a Love controller, an old dorm style fridge I had lying around (fits converted pin lock perfectly), some bev-seal ultra, and an aspirator.:) Crappy pics, flash makes the ESB look cloudy. But it is delivering a clear pint into an imperial pint glass I "borrowed" in 1997 from a Firkin Pub in Windsor, England (1 of 2, the other Karma got to, broke in the sink).

P1050129.jpg

P1050130.jpg

P1050135.jpg

How did you make the beer engine holder? I have a 1/2 pint engine in my garage gathering dust and have been trying to figure out how best to convert a fridge for this.

All set up and working perfect. Using a Love controller, an old dorm style fridge I had lying around (fits converted pin lock perfectly), some bev-seal ultra, and an aspirator.:) Crappy pics, flash makes the ESB look cloudy. But it is delivering a clear pint into an imperial pint glass I "borrowed" in 1997 from a Firkin Pub in Windsor, England (1 of 2, the other Karma got to, broke in the sink).

View attachment 127592

View attachment 127593

View attachment 127595

@ChuckCollins
That would depend on how quick you drink it!
But with the CO2 blanket on it lasts as long as a normal keg beer really.

Trouble is traditionalists would say not true cask ale as it's sealed from the air. I think I've pointed you to some good info on the other forum that should help you.

Really for true cask you need to second ferment in a vessel big enough that you can drink it in about 3 days once conditioned as you would open it to the air on the engine. Hence some of the threads talking about one gallon and two gallon vessels, that's my plan to split the batches up so that each small " cask " can be brought on line at a weekend etc. Of course if you are having a party then the one big corny might not be enough.
Also don't serve colder than 12 centigrade it's not good for real ale and will ruin your experience.

View attachment 127592

View attachment 127593

View attachment 127595

Chuck info in here

Great news with the beer engine.

Beer Engine strip down advice
www.homebrewtalk.com

Good video of how to set engine and demand valve up, here

This thread very useful
Beer Engine Set Up Help
Hi, First post, so please go easy :laugh8: I'm hoping somebody can advise me on how I can connect the beer engine I have acquired to a bag In box supplied by my local brewery. After doing a bit of prior research I bought some 3/8 keg beer pipe, metal hose clips, a non return valve and a Vitop...
www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk

Demand valve for beer engine
keg back filled with co2. It also helps to counter balance the hand pull operation. I’m having a slight issue with half foaming. For reference the pressure I set is around 1-2 psi so it’s not over carbed. I think it might be the demand valve as I can definitely hear air being drawn in during...
www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk

and the chap called peebee wrote this which is extremely thorough

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw...bWc/view?resourcekey=0-oe5EQ2MtwRSmrDKRMjcO1g

This thread also has some useful ideas / different methods for serving relevant bit for us from post 1345 the last page

Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread
Hi All, Just wondering how you guys manage your kegs? I have acquired 6 x 8L kegs and 3 x 5L kegs. I have 3 tapping heads and the remaining kegs have the blank caps. Do you just switch the tapping head to the next keg and if so how do you carbonate it beforehand? Thanks yes - switching heads is...
aussiehomebrewer.com

Also just discovered this whilst looking up for this reply and it's also very good

How to attach a Beer Engine Hose | Real Ale America

Last edited:
Back