Introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsales_co_uk

Reaction score
Hi, just joined so introducing myself...

I started homebrewing a couple of years ago. Had tremendous success with wines, particlarly rhubarb and dried elderberry. Had limited success with mead (perhaps patience is required) and I've never made a good beer! (advice welcomed!)

Wilkommen! As far as beermaking advice? You have come to the right place! There are only a few basic rules:

1. Sanitation. I recommend Starsan after a good cleaning. There are other sanitation products, but Starsan, IMO, is the best.

2. Temperature control during fermentation. Proper temperature is key to a good-tasting beer. Yeast produce the best product at certain temp range.

3. Proper recipe. Usually this is not a big deal*. You can probably find a decent kit with all ingredients included, or look around here for more recipes.

* Some "kit-in-a-can" kits come with lousy instructions and expired ingredients. Beware.

Making beer is generally pretty easy if you KISS. But you can make it as fun and complex as you want!

Welcome to HBT. Visits to England are probably why I home brew. I just loved the ordinary bitters I had in various pubs while touring. If you're looking for suggestions, it would help to know what type of brewing you are doing. I'm an extract brewer, but most of the people on this site have moved on to more involved processes. If you're interested in an extract (or extract plus some steeped grains) I'd be glad to offer suggestions.

Welcome to the group, from Colorado :mug:

I am a big fan of learning with one gallon batches. Mess up, no big loss. Sanitation and cleaning is most of the work!

I'm interested in steeping some grains to add some unfermentables and body to 2% ginger beer that I make.
It ferments to 000 with the sugar I add and the fresh ginger adds fire but no substance.
I could change to malt extract instead of sugar and would like to know if using this below and how to steep it would help

https://www.gladfieldmalt.co.nz/versatile-malt/
I have back sweetened the ginger beer with Monk fruit which has worked well from a sweetness aspect but it's still thin.
Usually making 20 litres at a time to go in the keg fridge.

Latest posts

Back