Introduction from a Super Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
Hello all. I made a post in the New Brewers forum, but I'm doing an introduction one here as well. I'm looking to start, and needing all the help I can get!

I'll copy the post I made in the other forum here, just to give as much info as possible:

Hello everyone. I'm from Dauphin county Pennsylvania (just outside of Hershey/Harrisburg, right near Troegs) and I am planning on starting up.

A buddy and me are planning on starting to make our own. We're 'knowledgeable' about beer, and a bit about gardening, but that's about it.

So our first question is:

* Where is a good place to buy hops plants? (cheapest/most reliable/best quality) - preferably in the area
* How many hops plants is needed? Specifically what's a good size hops garden for making small amounts for two grown men to grow/produce/drink?
* What variety of hops plants should we get? I know of the different types, but little of what goes well with what, or what variety grows best, or tastes best in what we are wanting to make. We are open to recipes/ideas on what beer to brew, but we are generally going the route of IPA's and the ilk, (basically, think Troegs in a way).

Any and all help would be super appreciated!

Anyone else from Central PA who grows?

-----

So thanks! Hope this isn't a bad introduction. I'm 28 (soon to be 29 in the next month) my buddy is 30. We love drinking new beers and are looking forward to making our own. We prefer the crafts, the darker, more hoppier beers, like Troegs, Magic Hat, Guiness, Omnegang, etc.

Thanks all!
:tank::mug:

Well, welcome aboard.

Hops are cultivated from rhizomes, and you'll usually get those planted in the spring. Unfortunately, not knowing the alpha acid content of your hops makes bittering your beer a bit of a crapshoot, but you can use them for aroma/flavor additions. Buying pelleted hops from a commercial grower for your bittering charge is going to be the way to go.

Personally, I'd say brew first grow later. In other words start out as a brewer. Brew what you like and just buy the ingredients. After you've brewed for a while and have an idea what kind of styles you tend to brew along with what kind and how many hops you go through in a year then decide on what you're going to grow and how much. Even at that, unless you're planning on minimal brewing or a massive grow setup you're probably never going to grow all the hops you use. You'll still probably buy some, if only for the variety. Also, mmb is right. You'll never know the real AA of your homegrown hops so at the minimum you should still plan on purchasing your bittering hops.

Welcome to your new found obsession. Best of luck with brewing and growing. You'll have some time to set up a hop garden, as you'll have the opportunity to grow next spring. If iPad are the style you like, you'll want to grow more iPad style hops. With mmb, your best off buying clean bittering hops for your hoppy brews to get a better idea of your alphas, and using anything homegrown as flavor or aroma. Check out the hop growing forum for advice and methods if that's what you and your buddy want to try. HALIFAXHOPS is in central PA, and would be an excellent source of information for you.
Are you and your buddy planning on starting with extract? All grain? Check out some of the forums and stickies for help/questions, as it is a wealth of useful information. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I'm kind of curious why the local garden/nursery shop (Stauffer's on Middletown Road) just as of the end of June/beginning of July started offering hops plants. Humulus. If spring is the best time for planting why are they only now offering them?

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I'm kind of curious why the local garden/nursery shop (Stauffer's on Middletown Road) just as of the end of June/beginning of July started offering hops plants. Humulus. If spring is the best time for planting why are they only now offering them?
Those are, most likely, for decorative plantings and would not be brewing varieties.

The type Stauffer's sells is Hops Humulus and the plastic tag sign that accompanies the plant (which is in the shape of a beer mug) lists that the hops can be used for brewing.

Their currently selling them for 24.99$ in the normal plastic containers. I would say their about 2-2.5' tall.

I recommend American style hops, the C hops- Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus- these are good for IPAs, Pale Ales, lots of popular styles. If you love British or German beers, pick those hops.

After the 2nd year or so, they grow super easy, starting I have found they drown or dry out easily, year 1 takes special TLC.

The type Stauffer's sells is Hops Humulus and the plastic tag sign that accompanies the plant (which is in the shape of a beer mug) lists that the hops can be used for brewing.

Their currently selling them for 24.99$ in the normal plastic containers. I would say their about 2-2.5' tall.

For 9-10 bucks each and some shipping, I got my field grade plants/crowns from Great Lakes Hops in early April. Can't complain, I'll get a good crop this year. 25 bucks is a little steep for an unnamed, possibly ornamental variety.

What are some hops farms that people recommend to buy from if I go the route of buying from an online/farm source?

As I said, I bought from Great Lakes Hops and I have been pleased with my results. Do some searching in your immediate area, as there seem to be a few hop farms near you. Don't make the mistake of putting time and effort, as well as some coin, on growing a variety you'll never use or one you're not sure you would use it for.

The suggestion earlier to go with the c- hops is a good one. I'm growing 3 myself :-D

1406889413608.jpg

The three on the right are all first year plants: Cascade, CTZ, and Chinook. The one on the far left is a 3rd year Nugget, also from Great Lakes Hops.

Very nice picture! How do you have that set-up?

It's a 4'x4'x6' raised bed with 2x4 cages. Eyelets drilled into the wood at 1 foot increments, and jute woven through. I had to keep everything below fence line per the HOA. There's enough line to grow 50' bines, and Nugget has one that's way over 30' now, if I stretched it out. I trained the bines as high as I could (mid June I gave up when they brushed out with side arms) and now is just maintaining the jute. I have Chinook cones about 3" long, cascade cones just forming, and a ton of burrs on CTZ and Nugget. CTZ actually broke the jute because of its weight, and I had to restring it in parts. Can't wait to harvest.

Back