Class of 88` Imperial Smoked Porter clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayne22

Reaction score
I just recently had the collaboration project Class of 88` Imperial Smoked Porter and thought it was fantastic. All I could find:

smoked and chocolate malt
50 IBU
9% ABV

So, pretty much nothing. Does anybody have any thoughts on a clone for this beer?
Potential Hops?
Base malt?
% of Grist with smoked malt
etc...

Shot in the dark but worth a try.

I just had this beer tonight and it was pretty incredible.

My best guess for making something similar would be to start with an Edmund Fitzgerald clone (there are a few good ones floating around) and ramp that up to 9% abv with the same hop schedule.

The real wildcard is the smoked malt. It was really the perfect balance of roastiness and smokiness. Maybe set aside 20%-25% of the grain bill for the smoked malt? I'm honestly taking a wild guess here.

I may try to brew something like this to be ready for winter. Seems like it would make an excellent cold-weather brew.

Anyone attempted this yet? I just found some more info on the Deschutes site.
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/imperial-smoked-porter

ABV: 9%
IBU: 50
Malt: Pale, Extra Special, Chocolate Wheat, Smoked Malt, Oak Smoked Wheat, Flaked Oats
Hops: Nugget, Tettnang, East Kent Goldings

No idea what percentages for the malts might be, but I figure Nugget is likely the bittering hop here and Tettnang/EKG for flavor.

Back