Interesting Gose Recipe...your thoughts on this souring method please....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So rather than lactobacillus to sour the beer, this recipe (I've seen more than one) uses a fairly large % of acidulated malt (about 2 lbs in a 5 G batch) along with an addition of 88% lactic acid to "backsour" the fermented beer. In the recipe I'm finishing now, they added 10 tsp of the acid ("to taste") at the time they kegged it.

I'm curious about this vs the typical kettle sour. I've not brewed a kettle sour, but from what I've read, you add the lacto, hold the temps and monitor for the pH to drop to the desired level. Does the lacto add flavor elements or is it just dropping the pH? Given the kettle sour vs the backsour approach, if they have the same final pH, will they taste pretty much the same?

Thoughts on this approach? I'm doing it for a Gose that I'm brewing for my son because I don't currently have a mechanism to maintain the souring temps for the lacto to do its work...plus it required less monitoring.

I'll report back on the result, but I'm curious about what to expect and why more recipes don't sour this way.

HWK, I have made a gose with the same process. It was a dill pickle gose, so there was a lot of other stuff in there also, but the souring was good. I may be brewing this beer again this weekend for a upcoming brewfest. I have done one kettle sour also. I have heard/read that using acid malt, acid only to sour a beer it ends up lacking a certain depth, but I really don't know. I know that the gose, the addition of the salt will add depth so I wouldn't worry about it to much. Good Luck :mug:

I recommend this souring method:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
It's so easy! No need to maintain "souring temps" or monitor pH.

Too much acidulated malt will cause conversion problems, and adding straight lactic acid has been known to cause a chemical taste and lacks depth. These are not good methods in my opinion.

Bacteria do add desirable flavor, much like yeast.

I recommend this souring method:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
It's so easy! No need to maintain "souring temps" or monitor pH.

Too much acidulated malt will cause conversion problems, and adding straight lactic acid has been known to cause a chemical taste and lacks depth. These are not good methods in my opinion.

Bacteria do add desirable flavor, much like yeast.

Wow, wish I'd seen that before I brewed my gose. I'll give that a shot next time.

Back