Howdy from Pa. Noob going to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenLune

Reaction score
Hello, from Central Pa., I've been researching homebrewing for about 2-3 months, I've aquired 2 6g, 1 5g, & 2 5g betterbottle Carboys, 1 fermenting bucket, siphoning, & racking cane,hydrometer, bungs airlocks, big spoon, cleaning bottle brushes,locally for around 160$ here,& there...I've been digging for bottles at the recycle center, I've never brewed anything yet, but would like to go straight to All Grain,& have found ingredients, I plan on buying 50lb sack of pale malt (36+ 20shipping), a bunch of of specialty grains..hops.(pointbrewsupply)... based on recipes I found here, deception stout, magic hat #9 clone, ...I need to still convert my cooler into a mash tun, I have-5 gallon steel pot (do I need bigger?) I also plan on getting a corona style mill, but I would like to build a 5 gallon bucket, with mill,& drill attachment.I've talked with local group, the local hb shop is very basic,its actually a swimming pool shop, expensive, but has basic airlock, bungs...I am not aware of any close whole sale places, I am friends with local brewery, I fix their roof also, so maybe they will pay me in grains next time?
My wife is giving me the eye, with the costs,even though I have not brewed anything yet, still need mash ton, capper, sanitizers. I plan on hard cider, & wine, I have 2 apple tree, & pear, soon wineberries will be everywhere.. Thank you for reading my runaway post, I will be most humbled with advice or, chat!
Mr. Lune

Looks like you have plenty of stuff already (more than I do ;) ). Here is my advice but other will disagree:
- get a 9-10 gallon pot. 5 gal is not nearly enough to do a full boil.
- Save and spend your money on a nice roller mill. There are lots of threads for corona mills but I love my Millar's Mill.
- get some good theremometers for your mashing and other incubations like fermentation. Eventually you'll need to have dedicated equipment to keep everything at the right temperature.

Happy Brewing!

I am looking for a larger brew kettle, I'll probably just get a cheap corona mill to get the pot brewing, I would like to get more dependable equipment later, I posted a craigslist wanted add for brewing supplies, & local contacts. I got the 2 better bottle first, then the two 6gallon, the rest came from asking around, auctions.. & whamo, I have six (good prices)!
Thanks funnycreature! Have a goodone!

If you are going to do full 5 gallon boils you will need at minimum a 30 qt. Turkey fryer pot. It will get filled to within 1.5 inches of the top so starting the boil without boil over is tricky. So, bigger is better. I use a 10 gallon pot and still have to watch for boil over.
You might also need a propane burner. Many people cannot get ~7 gallons of wort to a boil on a stove top.
You can also look into BIAB and not need the mash tun, at least right away. You will need a large enough pot for the grain + the mash water. Personally I dislike BIAB because of the heavy, hot, sticky bag of spent grain to deal with.

I got got outbid on a 30qt. turkey fryer at an auction, I am the high bidder on ebay for a 30qt., I also posted a wanted add on craigslist, a person has one for sale for 100$, more than what I want to spend, I will ask around the flea market also, my brew budget is tight right now, but I want reasonably good equipment for a beginner, so that is why I have been reading post on here, every chance I get! I appreciate your input!

Search amazon do Winware 40qt aluminum stock pot. I got mine for ~40$. Boil for about an hour in it with just water and it will condition the inside, then you will be set!

Keep an eye on homebrewfinds. I would also recommend you consider temp control setup- could be a bucket and 2l bottles of ice with a good thermo.

Do you mean a mash temp control setup, I've been learning about Water Fermentation Chiller, I also have a old standup freezer I could put I temp control on. I would possibly like to make a wort chiller, or buy one, since it's not much more $, I saw video on making a reverse wort chiller, counter flow. I just want to get some basic, but good equipment, I am anxious to get started. will be spend another 2-300+$ for grain in bulk, fryer, capper mill, ..so I don't want to buy crap equipment, I may do the ice bath to start, I have a basic thermometer, Later I will get more technical. I have been making leaps, & bounds in learning from this Awesome forum, everyday. I would like a colonna capper/corker eventually, & then keg. I will checkout homebrewfinds. As far as fryer, I put the word out to the other junk gypsy in my area, & put a want add in craigslist, & I am still high bidder on on on ebay, though I figure I will not win.
Thank you All

Back