Homemade Stir Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbeer

Reaction score
Built a stir plate from a foldable laptop fan from Big Lots this afternoon.
Got all excited over it and was ready to try it, but I had no stir stick.
My LHBS is 40 miles away, I sure as hell wasn't going to ride that far for a $4.00 stir stick and not being one to wait, I went on the forum looking for suggestions on how to make one. I didn't see anything that I liked, so I got to thinkin' and here's what I came up with.
This is 3 1/2 inch ball bearings I ground a flat on each one and epoxied them together Tomorrow I'll weld and polish some. They work great and are very quiet. I'm going to try different size combos and see if I can get them to run silent.
The top pic my flash froze things just right' you can see the vortex and good view of my stir stick. The 2nd pic is my Big Lots $5.00 stir plate, the mags came from Lowes $2.70.

DSCN2717.jpg

DSCN2720.jpg

No, it's just a simple single speed fan, local radio shack didn't have a rheostat, get one next time I'm in Savannah. I was in best buy and they had 2 multi speed fans for under $10.00

Back