Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Menards out in Montgomery sells gamma lids, which is nice if you only need two or three...otherwise there are some survival stores that in bulk could be a good deal.

I brought all my grain up from the basement Wednesday night. We were evacuated Thursday afternoon. Been staying at my gf's and just came back this morning. I got lucky. The black asphalt in the bottom right hand corner is my driveway. Guess that's what I get for living in a village called Riverside.

iudkDxLl.jpg

Holy crap pseudo you alright down there

gregphill23 said:
So send $ to you Bill and how do I pick up? noob to group buys

Just follow this thread. After the buy closes bill will say pay via PayPal then pick up begins about a week later at his shop near the city.

we broke 400 sacks, 402 to be exact. We have 98 participants across 3 states. Total weight including non grain is 21,837 lbs. I think it's good that we are closing this buy this Friday at midnight.

bmason1623 said:
we broke 400 sacks, 402 to be exact. We have 98 participants across 3 states. Total weight including non grain is 21,837 lbs. I think it's good that we are closing this buy this Friday at midnight.

Holy crap. This buy (and the subsequent work on splits,etc) is going to be enormous. Thank you so much for organizing it.

Holy crap. This buy (and the subsequent work on splits,etc) is going to be enormous. Thank you so much for organizing it.

I fully expected this buy to be huge. this is why I limited splits to two ways only except for hops. The last buy had a crap load of splits and it was just way too much. This time around the splits should be easier to handle. You guys are mad brewers!

Bill.
It looks like both the bitter and sweet orange peel are wrong on the spread sheet. There should be 1lb of each. What's the best way to fix this.
Thanks

I like my gamma lid and would go in on a group buy if the price was significantly lower. But those paint bucket opener tool are only $5. It is much cheaper to but one of them and use my existing lids than replace several lids.

They are great for dog food or something that you have to open daily.

I have gamma lids and I love them, but the one drawback besides cost is space. when empty they don't nest. not that mine are ever empty but if I buy enough to handle every bag from this and the previous buy, they will end up that way.

Bill.
It looks like both the bitter and sweet orange peel are wrong on the spread sheet. There should be 1lb of each. What's the best way to fix this.
Thanks

I looked at yur order from the database and you had something weird going on there with the orange, you had a quantity of 1 in one line and a quantity of -1 in the second line. I erased both (at least I think I did) so re enter them.

Phew last run of the day....
126 lbs of 2 row, 12.5 lbs c120, 1.75 lbs chocolate, 1 lb roasted barley, 2.5 lbs magnum, 6 lbs Chinook.

Damn I'm exhausted and its clean up time..

I like Dave because he makes me feel better about burning a sack of grain in a brew day. Dave you should see how big my 8lbs puppy grew to be, she is over 25lbs

I like Dave because he makes me feel better about burning a sack of grain in a brew day. Dave you should see how big my 8lbs puppy grew to be, she is over 25lbs

Well garden season is nearing quick for me and time to brew will be short while the need for a beer will be high so I'm am trying to make sure all my kegs are filled, this barrel is filled and I can buy myself some weekends for riding the MC, camping and drinking.

In saw your updated profile pic, she's a great looking puppy. And she's trippled from the Pic you had at the last pickup...they grow quick...

How do I know if my split got picked up? I noticed over the weekend there were multiple splits of the same item, seems people weren't checking what was available before entering what they wanted.

I had a split of c20 up, then another one showed up. Now there's only one again. Not trying to be nit picky just curious if there's a way to know if I'm good on it. I really don't have a need for a full sack of it.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried any of the other base malts from Thomas Faucett besides Maris Otter? I still have plenty of that left from the last buy, so I was thinking about trying something else.

OK - help me choose 2:

Pilsen (CMC/GW)
2-Row (CMC/GW/Briess)
Pale Ale (CMC/GW/Briess)

Never used CMC malts before. I've loved GW malts, and Briess has been fine too. So I'm undecided. I don't brew any particular style more than others.

I buy CMC because i get more bang (beer) for my buck and im very happy with the results, i recomende pilsen for lagers and belgians and superior pale ale for ales

Forgive me if this a nub question, but I see Briess DME on the catalog, but I am unable to add it to my order. It just doesn't show up when I click add. That is true even when I just type in "Briess" and go through all the options. I would love to order some DME for starters.

Can I do this?

Thanks.

I added a 12 pack of dark belgian syrup packs, and opened a split for half of it. That does not seem to be working, as the split section is showing 3/3 available. What should I do? I'm happy to take the entire box if we can't split this item.

Update - I think my split was entered propertly, though there is another split that is behaving strangely.

Sent a request to join earlier today! Need to stock up on some specialties & hops!

Thanks for putting this together!

I gave my self a small limit and i have surpassed that....and plan to add more as the end date gets closer....

I buy CMC because i get more bang (beer) for my buck and im very happy with the results, i recomende pilsen for lagers and belgians and superior pale ale for ales

I love the superior pale, but when I ordered it on the last buy they substituted pils. This round I put GW because of that, even though I want the other. I already have more pils than I need.

I love the superior pale, but when I ordered it on the last buy they substituted pils. This round I put GW because of that, even though I want the other. I already have more pils than I need.

I found myself in the same situation, I believe that we are not going to allow the vendor to substitute this go around ?? and give us an opportunity to switch considering the quantities involved.
I also got the pils subbed for superior pale, no big deal except the 90 minute boil standard for pils, I burned the whole bag in a Kolsch run and it tastes fantastic. SO if you want CMC Superior Pale, dont order GW, you may have to change but for now represent what you want...

I found myself in the same situation, I believe that we are not going to allow the vendor to substitute this go around ?? and give us an opportunity to switch considering the quantities involved.
I also got the pils subbed for superior pale, no big deal except the 90 minute boil standard for pils, I burned the whole bag in a Kolsch run and it tastes fantastic. SO if you want CMC Superior Pale, dont order GW, you may have to change but for now represent what you want...

no substitutions this time around. however, if an item is out of stock it will be dropped completely with, again, no substitutions. It's too much work to keep track of it especially at 400 sacks.

no substitutions this time around. however, if an item is out of stock it will be dropped completely with, again, no substitutions. It's too much work to keep track of it especially at 400 sacks.

ruh roh...is it too much to ask for an email to fire off to the acct mgr for the base grains only to very stock prior to close? Thats where most of the bulk is anyway...please

ruh roh...is it too much to ask for an email to fire off to the acct mgr for the base grains only to very stock prior to close? Thats where most of the bulk is anyway...please

ok. how about if i let people know what is out of stock and what is available in it's place. people can tell me how to edit their order which I should be able to do on the database. then the database will spit out new reports. the problem is that if we take to long it could be back in stock by the time we make the changes. also, it's possible that other items that were in stock when we submitted the order could go out of stock while we figure out the replacements. these buys have become like the government in the sense that it takes a long time for things to get moving. it's the nature of the huge buy. but we'll manage.

ok. how about if i let people know what is out of stock and what is available in it's place. people can tell me how to edit their order which I should be able to do on the database. then the database will spit out new reports. .

Can't ask for much more than that. Will gladly take that over the alternative. Thanks for the option - hopefully it doesn't come to that.

ok. how about if i let people know what is out of stock and what is available in it's place. people can tell me how to edit their order which I should be able to do on the database. then the database will spit out new reports. the problem is that if we take to long it could be back in stock by the time we make the changes. also, it's possible that other items that were in stock when we submitted the order could go out of stock while we figure out the replacements. these buys have become like the government in the sense that it takes a long time for things to get moving. it's the nature of the huge buy. but we'll manage.

Excellent...If there is anything I can assist with dont hesitate to ask..... personally I'd be happy to move lateral by brand as required...Thanks much.. put a time limit 24/36 hours to edit orders..tthats reasonable

ok so after i have clicked on the plus and have finished with adding my grains and hops and such, do i have to save? or does this go right to your records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back