Fermentation Temperature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdrew23

Reaction score
Hello -

Recently i have been fermenting my ales in a small chamber with a modified Son of Fermentation chiller, and starting off around 63-64 for a few days, and slowly ramping the temp up to 67-68, which is where it is right now. I have an IPA that is one week old sitting in the chamber now.

I plan to brew again tonight, so i was wondering if there would be any problem leaving the IPA in the chamber then adding the second batch (the chamber can hold only 2 batches) and turning the temp down 4 - 6 degrees, or if i should simply take the IPA out of the chamber which would keep the current temp more consistent (ambient temp outside of chamber of about 69-70).

Any suggestions?

If the IPA is almost finished (if) then leaving it outside the chamber shouldn't hurt. However, one week may be early and it may not. I try not to remove the beer from the chamber until the krausen has dropped.

If it's not almost done I would drop the temp a few degrees and add the next batch. I usually do this, but I make sure my sensor is on the newly added bucket once it settles to the chamber temp. Since fermentation produces some heat, the new batch should produce more heat in log phase while the older batch is slowing down, producing less heat.

Back