Hops in the ground, not ready to build a trellis.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I bought 10 organic rhizomes this year. Planted them about 3-4 weeks ago. 8 of them came up and are growing nicely.

Here's the problem: Due to a few unforeseen (big) expenses, I have to wait to build a structure for them, maybe another month or two. A couple of the sprouts are already a foot long. Should I just tie some twine to the fence and let them climb it for now, or will it hurt to just let them hang out on the ground?

Realistically the first year is mostly about building the roots so you want as much foliage growth as possible so that it spreads out to feed it. This is the third year I've grow mine on a fence. Granted, my maximum dry harvest was just under 3lb last year, but for growing on a fence that's fine with me.
I'd suggest letting them latch on the to fence instead of forming a tangled ball on the ground. At least this will give more airflow to prevent moisture and fungus problems. If you're not going to have the trellis for a month or two you would need a good 8-10feet in order to prevent them reaching the top of your twine and being twisted around the fence too much to remove.

Back