Adding DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
I helped a friend brew a beer and it missed it's OG mark by quite a bit. The beer has been fermenting since this Saturday. The LHBS was closed due to the Holiday and today would be the first chance I have to go get DME to add to the beer to bring up to the OG we were shooting for. How long do have to add the DME before it is to late? OG should have been 1.050 but it was 1.040.
Not sure how much DME to even add.

Hernando said:
I helped a friend brew a beer and it missed it's OG mark by quite a bit. The beer has been fermenting since this Saturday. The LHBS was closed due to the Holiday and today would be the first chance I have to go get DME to add to the beer to bring up to the OG we were shooting for. How long do have to add the DME before it is to late? OG should have been 1.050 but it was 1.040.
Not sure how much DME to even add.

Was this an extract batch? Did you add top off water?

If so then you did not miss your gravity, you got a bad mix of water and wort which is typical.

If you brew extract, use all of it and meet your final volume it is virtually impossible to not get the recipes stated starting gravity.

I'm kinda thinking you should avoid adding DME after fermentation starts. Once you get past primary fermentation, you don't want to add any oxygen to the beer by stirring in a powder, as that may introduce stale/cardbord flavors.

You could make a 1 gallon batch of 1.090 wort with that DME, and pour that in after it cools... but that sounds like a bit of work.

Being a little lite in OG is not bad thing. However, you could add a little honey or sugar to give it a boost. I would not use more than 10% of the total fermentables though. Maybe a pound, and that should get you most of the way there... IMHO..

Not sure if LME directly to the fermenter is a good idea or not ... ?? ..

Good luck,
--LexusChris

LexusChris said:
I'm kinda thinking you should avoid adding DME after fermentation starts. Once you get past primary fermentation, you don't want to add any oxygen to the beer by stirring in a powder, as that may introduce stale/cardbord flavors.

You could make a 1 gallon batch of 1.090 wort with that DME, and pour that in after it cools... but that sounds like a bit of work.

Being a little lite in OG is not bad thing. However, you could add a little honey or sugar to give it a boost. I would not use more than 10% of the total fermentables though. Maybe a pound, and that should get you most of the way there... IMHO..

Not sure if LME directly to the fermenter is a good idea or not ... ?? ..

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Yeah i agree with LexusChris .. Once the fermentation begins adding dme is not recommended . DME without boiling might introduce off flavours/infections in the beer.
Keep a tab on the boil. If the pre boil gravity is not as expected you could add dme / sugar to bring it up during boiling.
If the OG still isn't hitting the numbers add fermentable such as sugar , honey etc before sticking it in the carboy for fermenting.

Well it is an all grain. What I was thinking of doing was boiling water and adding DME to it make it a very runny syrup. IF it will cause of flavors then I would rather have a weaker beer then a crappy undrinkable one.

Hernando said:
Well it is an all grain. What I was thinking of doing was boiling water and adding DME to it make it a very runny syrup. IF it will cause of flavors then I would rather have a weaker beer then a crappy undrinkable one.

You would need 1lb of DME to raise the gravity 9 points for a 5 gal batch.

If you boil up the DME, cool and add it there should be no issues, just use as little water you need to dissolve the DME so you don't dilute the beer as well.

Then look at your crush, mash pH, mash temp,sparge method, and volumes to determine why you missed the OG by 10 points

You would need 1lb of DME to raise the gravity 9 points for a 5 gal batch.

If you boil up the DME, cool and add it there should be no issues, just use as little water you need to dissolve the DME so you don't dilute the beer as well.

Then look at your crush, mash pH, mash temp,sparge method, and volumes to determine why you missed the OG by 10 points

Right- no problems at all adding boiled/cooled DME in a little water at this point (or at any point) as long as you don't splash it in once fermentation has ended.

People add all kinds of things to their beers during/after fermentation like fruit, sugar, DME, etc with no issues and in fact in some cases (like a high OG Belgian), added more fermentables later on is preferred.

Boil up a pound of DME in as little water as possible, cool it, and add it. That will give you .009 points in a 5 gallon batch.

Thank you very much. I am pretty sure it was lack of supervision when helping my friend brew. I brewed my batch and it hit it's numbers perfectly.

Back