Partial grain brewing working outline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm trying to get into more partial grain brewing from a background of extracts and steeped grains. The more I find out, the more it seems that I lack knowledge.

Ok. So I'm looking to produce 5gal batches (19L) and my main brewpot is 21L. This means that I'm usually topping up my wort a little at the end and so technically performing a partial boil. I could split the wort, do 1-2gal in my other big pot which is 3gal, but as a working outline going forward. Is it that big of a deal to basically boil 16-18L depending on how likely it is to boil over, add my extract at flame out and then top the primary that small amount?

For my steeping grains, should I steep them separately and then add the liquid to the boil or process them as part of my partial mash? Is there a significant difference? I feel like mashing them with grain will get the best value out of them, but by doing them separately, I could use another pan and increase my boil volume if this is a benefit, and maybe the independant control can give superior flavour?

For my partial mash, my working outline is to preheat my 3gal pot and water, dough in, lid and perform protein rest/deglue if required (I want to brew wheat) add further water to bring the temperature up to mashing temperature and put it in my oven for 60-90 minutes to hold temperature through the mash. Then pour the whole lot through a grain bag lined colander sat atop my big brew pot, let it drip while I heat sparge water in the now empty smaller pot then use the bag to lift the grain and 'teabag' in my sparge water, lift and let drip, put back in the colander and then pour over my sparge water. Sound like it could work? Any room for improvements or suggestions? What about working quantities? I'm thinking no more than 2-4lb of grain per 5gal batch.

Then boil and perform hopping as usual. Add DME or LME at flame out. Chill with chiller and so on.

I might be overcomplicating it but I sort of want to complicate it. Also thinking about ph. I hear a problem with partial grain is that the grain amount often isn't enough to raise the ph to 5.5 or higher so the solution is to either use less water to gain (and suffer less efficiency?) or to use a weak wort solution to mash with? Can I not raise ph with some chemistry?

Also reading on here, seems a little sugar is a good thing for helping to create dry beers. Also about mash temperature, lower temperatures create more fermentable wort than higher temperatures emphasising alpha-amalyze. Worth matching to style to control dryness or is yeast selection and sugar additions more common to correct/adjust these factors?

So for volumes and temperatures.

2qt per lb of grain mashing / 2L per kg
3qt per lb of grain sparging / 3L per kg

Doughing in 95-113°F
Protein rest if required 120-130°F
Mash 153°F generally or aim for
154-162°F thicker/higher final OG styles
131-150°F thinner/lower final OG styles

Am I going to struggle with cloudy wort? Obviously no launtering and recirculating. Should I sparge with less water compared to a 'proper' all grain brew with a grain bed etc?

Boiling 16-18L, adding the extract at the end and topping off as necessary in the fermenter will work perfectly fine. it won't be any worse for not being a full boil. you may just get slightly less hop utilization and a touch more maliard reactions, pretty minor. I never noticed any differences when I've done it with all grain

all your grains would go together.

your mash plan would work, but I'd go the opposite way. mash in a bag & lift it out vs pour thru a bag after. read this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

the issue with pH would likely be not lowering it enough. you can use acidulated malt or lactic acid to lower the pH. Calcium chloride, epsom & gypsum will also lower pH, but to much less of an effect. chalk, lime & baking soda can be used to raise pH. unless you have a water report, I wouldn't start messing around with these just yet.

any combination of mash temp, sugar & yeast could be used to effect dryness. some styles work better with certain conditions than others. mash temp is biggest controller. for AG, mash is generally 1-2 qt/lb, with sparge being whatever volume is necessary to hit full volume. with PM I would mash in your 3Gal pot while heating up the rest of your water in the 21L pot. once mash is complete I would let it drip a bit over your 3gal pot, then dunk it in the larger pot to sparge (~170F), then add in the mash runnings and start your boil

i never had any issues with cloudy wort using the BIAB method. some haze isn't uncommon in doing wheat beers tho.

I'm guessing as long as I stick within recommended ratios of grain to water when mashing and sparging the pH won't be an issue? Or only an issue with certain types of brewing, IE really heavy stout or really pale lagers. Or does the partial grain brewer have to consider these things with every brew?

Thanks for your advice, I'll likely mash straight in the bag, I just thought that starting off in the pot for the mash might be easier to dough in compared to the bag with lean volumes of water. It'll end up in the bag eventually anyway.

the style of brew would greatly differ it (the darker the grain the more it lowers pH). also its different for everyones water. i have very soft water so its easy to deal with, hard/alkaline water is a different story.

you can try mashing whichever way you want. I would just expect the way you said to be a bit messier is all.

Back