Sky rocket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maccsc

Reaction score
I would still consider myself new however on my third batch ran into an issue. I was brewing True Brew Belgian Ale. Followed all instructions completely,,,,, accept one. Anyway I put into the fermentation bucket and checked it about 6 hours later before going to bed. The airlock was going. Got up the next morning and the lid was blown off the bucket and boy did I have foam and activity going on. Needless to say a mess as well. My first two batches was Brewers best Kolsch and Weizenbier. Both without incident. What caused this to happen on my third batch? What did I possibly do wrong? The one thing the directions said was once you add your yeast to do two quick stirs. Being new and being a man, this made no sense so I stirred in the yeast thoroughly. That's the one thing I didn't follow. Is this the reason for my problem? Thanks!

Just read up on them. Thanks. So I take it that a blow off tube instead of an airlock, on the primary at least, is the preferred method.

maccsc said:
Just read up on them. Thanks. So I take it that a blow off tube instead of an airlock, on the primary at least, is the preferred method.

I wouldn't necessarily say preferred as many don't use them. A lot of people do though to avoid the situation you had. Once you have more batches under your belt and become more familiar with the yeast strains you use most often you'll kinda know whether or not you'll need one. I can tell by how full my carboy is whether or not I have enough headspace to use an airlock or if I'll need a blowoff.

I don't use them on any of my low OG batches. I just did a double IPA(1.090 OG) and knew that was gonna go crazy so I used a blow off tube. I also use glass 6 gallon carboys/better bottles, and fill them with about 5-5.5 gallons of wort..so they have enough head space for the krausen.

What size is your fermentation bucket?

The reason I ask is because I am about to brew the same kit this weekend in a 6 gallon glass carboy. I've read other threads where folks say this kit foams a lot and got the 6 gallon to hopefully allow enough space so that I can just use a typical airlock.

Hastein said:
What size is your fermentation bucket?

The reason I ask is because I am about to brew the same kit this weekend in a 6 gallon glass carboy. I've read other threads where folks say this kit foams a lot and got the 6 gallon to hopefully allow enough space so that I can just use a typical airlock.

I used a 6.5gallon. I had exactly 5 gallons of wort.

Back