1 gallon brew ended up short of a gallon, should I add bottled water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitzm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just did my first 1 gallon brew (White House Honey Porter from Northern Brewer) and when I got it all in to the fermentation jug I noticed the total was about an inch short of the gallon mark.

I didn't think much about it at the time so pitched the yeast and put the airlock in etc...

Now I'm wondering if I should of added in some bottled water to top it up to the 1 gallon mark. And if so, can I add it now (on top of the yeast), or should I just put it down to a beginners mistake and remember to top it up first on my next brew?

There was nothing in the instructions about topping up the levels, but I remember reading about doing that in other brewing material.

If anyone has any advice that'd be great!

Thanks
Anita

What was your OG? If you hit your mark, you were probably ok, if it was a little high, i.e. boiled off too much, adding water would have been fine. Either way it should come out fine.

Short answer is no. Just dont do it. having a stronger beer than planned is better than having a weaker beer than planned.

Hey,

Thanks for the speedy reply. No OG measured as I don't have a hydrometer or refractometer (yet), plus the kit doesn't actually specify OG/FG anyway.

I think I will just leave this one and remember to top up my next brew before pitching the yeast.

This one might just be a little stronger than intended but we won't know anyway because they also don't specify what the ABV is supposed to be! Yay for newbie kits :D

Cheers!
Anita

I'd leave it be. Next time have a small pot of boiled and cooled water ready to go if you need a top off.

Any idea how much volume an inch is? I'm assuming >>10%

I'd leave it be. Next time have a small pot of boiled and cooled water ready to go if you need a top off.

Ok thanks, I'll definitely have some ready for next time.

I just measured the difference using my other fermentation jug and it is 700mL (0.185 gal) short. One large bottle of beer that I won't be enjoying! Bummer.

Only need to boil it if your chlorine levels are high. Which they might be. Or they might not be.

That depends on the size of your pot. But yeah, as a gallon probably doesn't go up a full ten inches, then an inch is more than 10%.

(Technically speaking: My pot is 9" across. The is 4.5" radius and so an area of 20.25*pi square inches = 63.62 square inches. So an inch of water is 63.62 cubic inches. Google conversion puts that at .275 gallons.

(So about a quart for a nine inch pot. And a gallon is probably about 4 inches.)

I just measured the difference using my other fermentation jug and it is 700mL (0.185 gal) short. One large bottle of beer that I won't be enjoying! Bummer.

Yeah, but all your remaining bottles with be that much stronger.

nitzm said:

That's more volume than I was expecting. Still you will be just fine but learning from this will help you in the future. I missed by about 5-8% on a batch and I didn't notice at all.

I'm not sure how clean bottled water is but I don't put anything in my post boil wort that isn't boiled for ten min, sanitized, or hops.

I had the same problem yesterday with my NB kit I just left it alone it will be stronger beginners learning curve

I did a couple of those kits and it always seemed that there was more boil off than expected. I also ended up having blow-off during fermentation with a 1 gallon jug so topping up wouldn't have mattered. I netted 9, 12 oz beers with both the NB kits I did.

I found the 1 gallon kits great for learning (more brew days), but also frustrating with the net yield- If you lose any beer it becomes a considerable loss.

RedOktoberfest said:
That's more volume than I was expecting. Still you will be just fine but learning from this will help you in the future. I missed by about 5-8% on a batch and I didn't notice at all.

I'm not sure how clean bottled water is but I don't put anything in my post boil wort that isn't boiled for ten min, sanitized, or hops.

Yep I will make sure I boil & cool some bottled water next time as a back up in case I'm short. Where I am right now is all well water and it tastes horrible so I wasn't going to stick that anywhere near my first brew!

stubbq said:
I had the same problem yesterday with my NB kit I just left it alone it will be stronger beginners learning curve

Hehe yep! Live and learn.

CUrchin said:
I did a couple of those kits and it always seemed that there was more boil off than expected. I also ended up having blow-off during fermentation with a 1 gallon jug so topping up wouldn't have mattered. I netted 9, 12 oz beers with both the NB kits I did.

I found the 1 gallon kits great for learning (more brew days), but also frustrating with the net yield- If you lose any beer it becomes a considerable loss.

Yep, I can see the yield being disappointing but I have limited time to brew and even less time to drink (summer camp counselor!) so 1 gallon is all I needed to keep me interested until I get home to NZ and get a larger kit :) The boil off was unexpected but I intend to brew a few more kits this Summer so I'll just have extra santized water or standby to top it off.

I had read the WH Honey Porter would need a blow off tube but so far the airlock is coping ok (granted its only been 11 hours). I'm going to keep and eye on it tomorrow and if need be I'll sanitise a tube and a container and swap it over.

Back