Has anyone used hefeweizen yeast for an Ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryaugie

Reaction score
As the temperature rises and my fermenting limitations become apparent I have been wondering if a different selection of a warmer fermenting yeast would work for my next brew. So I ask if anyone has tried making an ipa recipe using a hef yeast? I have some in stock and wonder if the flavor profiles will conflict. Any info would be helpful.

Just got scores back from a hoppy imperial weizen I submitted to NHC. Basically a dipa with hefe yeast. Judges liked the hops and yeast combo with one judge commenting that the aroma was "out of this world". Got knocked for excessive alcohol taste and low carb though...

Bittered with magnum and used galaxy and citra late hop and dryhop.

I've been thinking about something along these lines as soon as I get a couple wines out of my fermentation closet.

Belgians are hit or miss with me. I don't like bubblegum or banana in my beer.
I was thinking American wheat yeast.

Thanks for the input, I read an article in byo about summertime brewing and using these yeasts. I have a Lallande hefeweizen and Saigon yeast I could use I don't have temperature controlled fermenter but if I ferment in a interior closet I should be ok with either.

Back