Cider looks flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike87

Reaction score
Anybody help please? Complete newb sorry. My cider looks flat and I forgot to take a start SG the SG after four days is 20 is it fermenting? I add couple grains of sugar to test and it fizzed like mad is this good or bad?

If its fizzing when you add sugar it sounds like its fermenting. Is this a kit ? Have you got it in a bucket with a air lock ? I use air bubbling through the airlock to tell me if it fermenting or not .

It was in a fermenting tub from a kit then I have transferred to a barrel with a tap and sealed lid but no where for airlock also when open sealed lid on barrel it hisses

That's an sg of 1.020 after 4 days? Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd leave it alone and check again in a few days. If you have a sealed lid you might need to release the pressure periodically.

Jeff180 said:
That's an sg of 1.020 after 4 days? Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd leave it alone and check again in a few days. If you have a sealed lid you might need to release the pressure periodically.

How do you get an SG of that I dunno how to work out SG can u explain an what % it will be

Felixio said:
% is calculated by taking the difference between the OG and the FG. (Original and Final Gravities) Since there was no OG calculation, then we will not be able to figure out the % ABV.

Is the og started at 30 then went 20 then 40 does that help

Help is there anyway to make the cider less watery I have tasted a week before completion to c how its going in second barrel with tap and it tastes like cider but also like its been mixed with water any help appreciated thanks

Latest posts

Back