Any alternatives to the sanitary filter used w/the B3 racking cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnotherRob

Reaction score
I spoiled the sanitary filter that came w/the racking system I bought at my LHBS; there was a dark spot in the contraption, and no air passed through. I discovered this issue while racking to the secondary, so all I could think to do was yank out the filter and blow into the opening to start the siphon.

I went to buy a replacement b/c I'm bottling this weekend but was told replacements were on order w/no ETA.

That said, I wanted to know if more experienced and/or creative homebrewers had any suggestions for starting the siphon, preferably while using my existing hardware and maintaining an acceptable level of sanitation.

Thanks,
AR

I take it is not an auto siphon.
Fill the tubing with water / starsan mixture and start the siphon that way.

I've heard about that method but haven't tried it. Can you recommend an online source that covers the procedure in detail?

I was also wondering about cleaning the mouth out with a 40% alcohol solution immediately before blowing through the carboy cap. Seems like the easiest solution, but only if it actually works. Any opinion?

Thanks

Auto siphon, or bulkhead valve.
I wouldn't blow.
If anything I would use co2 or some other clean pressure source to start the siphon if you can't figure out how to start it with StarSan/water.

I have an auto-siphon, but I don't actually use it. The first time I siphoned I used this guy's method and have since left the auto-siphon in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back