Ingredients for peanut butter stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to brew a peanut butter oatmeal stout without using any of that dry peanut butter stuff. I used it once and didn't like the way it turned out. A local brewery makes one that is outstanding and would like to replicate it. It's states right in the the description "NO PEANUT ALLERGY WARNING". I sent an email to them but have not heard back.
I guess what I'm asking is, what grains do i use to reproduce that peanut taste? I've thought about using equal parts Victory malt, Special Roast and Biscuit malt (about 7.5% each of the total grain bill), also crystal 60 and of course oats. Small amounts of Chocolate malt and Roasted Barley to round things out. I'm also planning to add a cocoa nib tincture after 7 days for a hint of that Reese's thing.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

Not sure you are going to find a grain to simulate peanut butter. You'd be surprised that most breweries use extracts (Yes, even Sweet Baby Jesus is made with a peanut butter extract). It may seem like a sin, but it really does a great job. Passedawn has a nice thread on here with a great PB Porter recipe. Here's a popular site for the breweries and they sell small amounts perfect for the home brewer. 2oz is more than enough to do a five gallon batch. So, most likely your brewery is using an extract therefore, no allergy concerns.

https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverag...p-extract-flavor-beer-wine-spirits-cider~2981

I just did a chocolate peanut butter stout.

I took my milk chocolate oatmeal stout recipe and just added 2oz of peanut butter extract. LD Carlson brand stuff I think. The extract directions was to add all 4 oz but I just used half. Not a pronounced peanut butter flavor but it's there. I just wanted a hint...not the full effect like sticking a spoon in a jar and just eating it straight...but that's pretty yummy on it's own...

I've done a Chocolate PB BrownAle/Porter a number of times and i've always used PB Fit for it. Comes out great when you add to the boil. None of the heavy dry mess in the fermenter, and extracts the flavor well. But above is correct, no grain will get you PB flavor. Breweries that do it either add PB powder, or (more commonly) use extracts since its easier and cheaper

Here’s mine...drinking it now. I like it.

Peanut Butter Cup Stout

Method: All Grain
Style: American Porter
Boil Time: 60
minBatch Size: 10.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Pre Boil Size: 13 gallons
Post Boil Size: 11.5 gallons
Pre Boil Gravity: 1.049 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 68% (brew house)
Calories: 242 calories (Per 12oz)
Carbs: 29 g (Per 12oz)

Original Gravity:1.072
Final Gravity:1.024
ABV (standard):6.35%
IBU (tinseth):30.2
SRM (morey):42.79

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
20 lb American - Brewers Malt 2-Row 37 1.8 66.7%
2 lb Flaked Barley 32 2.2 6.7%
1.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 80L 33 80 5%
1 lb German - Carafa III 32 535 3.3%
1.5 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 5%
2 lb American - Chocolate - (late addition) 29 350 6.7%
2 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) - (late addition) 41 1 6.7%
30 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU Bill %
3 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 6 Boil 45 min 30.2 100%

Amount Name Type Use Time
8 oz Cacao nibs Flavor Secondary 4 days
8 oz Peanut Butter Extract Flavor Secondary 4 days

Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084

This is the stuff I use for flavor and people love the beers I use them in. Ive done 2 stouts and porters with this stuff.

Plus one on brewers best flavorings. It takes some time to find the right dosage for some of their stuff, but once you dial it in, its an easy way to get consistent flavoring. I dont think its cheating. Cheating is taking a shortcut to win at something when everyone else is doing something else. To me using extracts is just economical and simpler. Why make life more difficult :) The raspberry flavoring is super intense so that requires like 1/8th of what they recommend, but the mango is fantastic and i usually use 2oz or so for a 5 gallon keg

Back