Farmhouse Saison with Wyeast 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
I've been reading threads in these forums, and other forums on the net, about the fermentation time using Wyeast 3724 in a farmhouse saison. I've read where some people say it took them 6 weeks fermentation time; I've read others say that theirs is still fermenting even after 2 months. Gravity s s s l l l o o o w w w w l l l l y y y y drops.

I brewed a farmhouse spiced saison three weeks ago, and my temp has been just under 80 degrees. It dropped to 72 at one point, but then I took my carboy out of my backroom closet and stuck it in my bathroom where it's a little warmer (and it shot back up to just under 80).

I'm planning on bring this beer to a party at the end of August, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have a contingency plan (ie - brew another batch of something simple that uses wyeast 1056 :cross: ). I'm going to check gravity on my saison tomorrow (which will mark a solid 3 weeks fermentation - 1 week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary). OG was 1.050, and FG should be around 1.013 (some people have been able to drop theirs down to 1.008!). last gravity i checked was after 2 weeks, and it was around 1.030. But right now it's still bubbling about 1 perc every 7 or 8 seconds, so I feel confident it's still rockin-n-rolling in there.

It will be bottled, and the party is Aug 26th. If I back up 3 weeks from Aug 26th, I have to bottle on Aug 5th. That will mean my saison will have been fermenting for 6 weeks. The 6 week fermentation time is what I am questioning, but I don't want to find out that it won't make it towards the end when I don't have time to consider making a contingency batch (I can do an amber ale batch in 6 week - brew/bottle/drink).

Anybody have an opinion on this? Do I need to start sticking my fermentor in my 85 degree garage?

edit - i also wanted to add that i prefer not rush this style if it's as rewarding as what people say it is. (ie - worth the wait)

WYeast suggest 90°F for a faster fermentation with that yeast.

"This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures at least 90°F (32°C) or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation."
http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=60

Yeah, I think this beer can be done...I'd stick it somewhere reeeeal warm for a few days. (around 90 degrees if possible.) I bet if you keep it around 90 for a week it will finish up, and you can bottle early, for more conditioning time!

I've not used this yeast before, but I know when you heat things up the yeast get busy.

is there a yeast-kill temperature? my lhbs said to avoid temps above 100 degrees. just curious.

i know my garage doesn't get that hot (i'm in central us where it's averaging 95 degrees outside), so i plan on sticking it in the garage after my gravity reading this weekend.

is there a yeast-kill temperature? my lhbs said to avoid temps above 100 degrees. just curious.

i know my garage doesn't get that hot (i'm in central us where it's averaging 95 degrees outside), so i plan on sticking it in the garage after my gravity reading this weekend.

With most yeasts, you do NOT want to go that high. Belgian yeast is special. Look up the stats on the wyeast page.

Why did you rack to secondary if it wasn't finished. If the yeast dropped out, you left most of it in the primary. NEVER rack from the Primary unless you have reached FG.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the Dupont strain, it requires a very high temperature, and once it drops, it may not come back.

I would recommend either sprinkling a pack of S-05 in the fermenter, or, more preferably, racking onto a cake to finish it off.

Again, I cannot stress enough, NEVER rack until the yeast is done!

i am to transfer to secondary when bubbling has slowed down considerably, after 7 to 10 days (and at this point, the bubbling seemed to almost stop). when i rack to secondary, i am to dry hop, and let ferment in secondary for even longer. then i am to check gravity after an additional 7 to 10 days later, and periodically after that until it reaches final gravity.

calder, what i am describing is exactly the instructions. i'm following a "Maison de Ferme" recipe from my local home brew store, to the letter. i really was not sweating racking to secondary before reaching FG. it's quite common that people rack to secondary after the initial burst of fermentation is over.

Dont know why you took it off the yeast cake so soon. I had my saison on yeast for 2 months and it got down to 1.02 and stayed there.

Id say you should have a backup plan, as you are at the 1.03 level which is notorious for where this yeast likes to get stuck.

As stated before, if you want it by end of August, sprinkle some US-05 in there now which should bring it down to your target.

checked it this morning. it's down to 1.016. a few clicks more to go and it will be ready to roll. bubbling actually reduced to now over 30secs per bubble. i'd say the 78-80 degrees is what really helped it this past week. smells great, and the orange spice is much more subdued than it was last week.

i'm going to resign to the commonly suggested phrase "it will be fine". :)

1.030 is too high and you'll rarely see a beer hit 1.000. It's really when fermentation is complete. Most of the time it's ~1.010. Just wait it out. How long has it been fermenting? Has it stayed at 1.030 for several days now?

EDIT: Just realized you necro'd a thread from 2011. lol.

Back