My Electric Build - Introducing What Became Brewmaster Controls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmastercontrols

Reaction score
My project started off innocently enough over a year ago, I wanted to go all electric, and I wanted a graphical user interface controlled brewing system with some automation. Things got a bit out of hand and after some interest from local brewers and microbreweries I decided to make a commercial offering which evolved into Brewmaster Controls.

Introducing Brewmaster Controls!

It became my goal to produce a easy to implement HERMS and RIMS control system that anyone regardless of their electrical, mechanical, or computer knowledge can implement with ease. The system is build on a modular basis allowing the brewer to implement controls for both hotside and cold side processes as desired. I decided that all equipment should be sold pre-assembled and tested, simply plug in and brew!

The overall system is built to control up to two 5500W heating elements and three cooling processes. The system is expandable but the basic ready to run out of the box functionality will control a HERMS or RIMS system and three cooling processes. I designed this for the homebrewer but have used all commercial standards and parts in the assembly process.

If you have any input for features you would like to see implemented or design changes you think would make the system better please feel free to email. We love and respect input from other brewers!

The Brewmaster Controls System Packs The Following Features:

Overall System Features
  • Easy to use graphical user interface that even the computer illiterate find usable
  • All equipment assembled out of the box, simply plug in and brew!
  • Complete system On/Off/PID control based upon temperatures and times
  • PID control driving pulse width modulated (PWM) heating elements
  • Control for up to 3 cooling processes (generally serving, ale fermentation, & lager fermentation coolers)
  • Front panel kill switch for all hot side operations power sources
  • Control for HERMS or RIMS mash tun and hot liquor tank temperature
  • Control for boiling kettle temperature and element power setting
  • Manual system On/Off for safe start and kill switch
  • On/Off control for pump (with automated control logic when required for HERMS or RIMS)
  • Live visual charting for mash, HLT, and boil process temperature and time
  • Live visual charting for all three cooling process temperatures and time
  • Ability to export chart data to image or excel data
  • Email updates for all parameters sent on selected interval, or anytime via snapshot button to selected addresses
  • Major system parameters logged to Microsoft Excel file at selected interval
  • Recipe viewer built into user interface
  • Easy to expand for more inputs and or outputs

feature%20slides.png

Detailed Mashing and HLT Related Features
See GUI Screenshot Above or Detailed User Guide
  • PID control for mash and HLT temperature control
  • PWM output to drive heating elements
  • HERMS or RIMS system control
  • Manual or automatic mash temperature control
  • Manual or automatic HLT temperature control
  • Pump on/off control
  • Visual indication of mash and hot liquor vessel temperatures
  • Visual indication of mash and hot liquor heating on/off and PWM power setting
  • Automated mash rest time and temperature control up to four steps
  • Manual mash rest time and temperature control
  • Strike temperature alarm (heats to mash temperature and lets you know when to mash in)
  • Mash temperature and time control for 1, 2, 3, or 4 step mashing profile
  • Clear indication of active mash temperature rest progress
  • Elapsed time of active mash rest constantly displayed
  • Easy calibration for any sensor installation or wiring length
  • Over temperature warning for mash, visual and audible
  • Over temperature warning for hot liquor tank, visual and audible
  • Mash and HLT data logged to Microsoft Excel file
  • Mash real time charting with selectable sample intervals
  • HLT real time charting with selectable sample intervals

Detailed Boiling Related Features
  • Automated PID control for boiling heating element based on temperature or power level selected by brewer
  • Manually selectable duty cycle for boil heating element, i.e. turn it up or down like a stove top
  • Visual indication of heating element duty cycle for both automated and manual control
  • Visual indication of boiling kettle temperature
  • Pre-boil alarm, visual and audible alarm to warn boil will begin soon (never miss boil start, first hops addition, or have boil over)
  • Option to hold temperature just below boiling automatically (sparge wait)
  • Boil timer with selectable set point, start, pause, and reset
  • Hop addition alarm for up to 5 hop additions
  • Boil data logged to Microsoft Excel file
  • Boil real time charting with selectable sample intervals
  • Charting exportable to graphic or Excel

feature%20slides%20cold%20side.png

Fermentation Temperature Control Related Features
  • Control for up to three cooling processes (generally serving, ale fermenter, and lager fermenter)
  • Temperature control with selectable hysteresis for each process
  • Manual or one to four step cooling schedule selectable for fermentation processes
  • Clear indication of fermentation schedule progress and active step
  • CO2 pressure calculator allows brewer to select carbonation volume desired, system calculated required pressure
  • Cycle time control to avoid rapid cycling of compressors or pumps
  • Cooling process data logged to Microsoft Excel file
  • All processes real time charting with selectable sample intervals
  • Charting exportable to graphic or Excel

A Quick Look At The Hardware:

Control Panel Running Beside Monitor

img_0293.jpg

Control Panel Opened

brewmaster5.jpg

So please have a look at our overall site www.brewmastercontrols.com, specifically we are looking for any input on what features should be added to the software and what additional hardware should be developed. We are here to support the homebrewing community and respect your input! Currently we are working on the software development and hardware build and testing for a tank liquid level sensing module and a motorized valve control module. The combination of these two will allow much more automation and control over the brewing process.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

Is that an Aurduino based? My son was trying to figure out the programming for his to help me with automation.

very nice looking product, and for everything it comes with I think the control panel is pretty reasonably priced. Whats the length restrictions on the cold side leads?

Sorry for the belated reply here I have been traveling the last couple days.

Garbageman - yes we do use the Aurduino it is a great litte board that can do many things.

Rcbishop- yes you are correct.

Strecker25 - I am glad to see you think we are well priced. The bottom line is that we have the ability to be better priced because we do not have all the parts (switches, lights, timers, PIDs) necessary in some of the other systems on the market. Second we do not have all the labor of cutting a front panel and wiring it. Hence we can save you a bit of money there. The software took many, many hours to develop and test, but we spread that cost over projected sales. (plus we made beer while testing...)

+1, this is an incredible setup! My dream brewery.

Glad to see this. Keep the Brewmaster Controls system in mind when you upgrade. Also keep an eye on us, we plan to do a system give away next year for National Homebrew Day!

And always guys, what features are missing? How can we make this better?

Happy Brewing.

Awesome system!
I have been emailing though the "contact us" on your website this past week and now seeing the "been traveling" post understand why no reply. So I will ask the question here...

Will you software work on a Mac?

Thanks

Awesome system!
I have been emailing though the "contact us" on your website this past week and now seeing the "been traveling" post understand why no reply. So I will ask the question here...

Will you software work on a Mac?

Thanks

Thanks for trackig us down. We had an issue with our contact us form where the captcha was not working. We have removed captcha completely from the contact us page and it is working with one click now.

To answer your question, we are based upon the Windows platform, you may be able to use VM Ware or another virtual processing platform to run with a Mac but we have not tested this setup.

Cheers

GaDang!

I have been seriously considering the EBC III system over at HighGravity. It does everything I need, but man... this is ridiculously impressive.

Thanks for the kind words! We appreciate the GaDang!

In the near future we are adding tank level sensing modules and valve control modules. Of course these will be optional but will add many features such as an automated sparge, automated fills, etc.

Hopefully that will get a double GaDang! out of you, but in one post!

Really, really like this. I've been electric brewing for a year now and enjoy that my setup is still largely manual as I feel like I'm actually brewing but I have to tell you there are times I would like to 'set and forget' a couple of the stages.

a Second pump option would be something to look at. Also glycol system control for jacketed conicals would be nice!

WOW! This is some pretty impressive GUI! :eek::mug::rockin:
When move and am able to install my "planned" electric brewery I have to give this a very serious look.

Again thanks for the very nice comments.

a Second pump option would be something to look at. Also glycol system control for jacketed conicals would be nice!

A second pump option is available, if it is not turned "on" system setup it simply disappears from the front panel. You can run two pumps no problem. We need to update the website to be clear on this.

As far as conicals it would be no problem to control them today via a valve controlling the cooling liquid flow or some other process. In the very near future we will be adding the ability to heat and cool the fermentation process. Meaning the ability to turn on cooling or heating depending upon the temperature. This was asked of us by a current microbrew customer and hence it will be released in our normal public offering as well!

Cheers

How would the update process work for system software updates?

Software updates are free for minor version changes, i.e. 2.5 to 2.6, we provide these to our customers free of charge and they are installed via changing a single file (or few) on your computer.

We match major software version changes to hardware revision levels. Hence when we roll the software to the 3.X from 2.X version it means the hardware capability has changed and the 2.X hardware will not support some features in the new 3.X software. The older software will still be maintained for any bugs if they are found free of charge.

So, in plain English, you will be provided free upgrades to your software as long as your version of hardware still supports the upgraded software features.

Cheers

Does your package require a copy of Labview to run or any other licensing not included?

Nothing is needed besides your own PC running Windows. We provide an executable program that is ready to run. You do not need any other software or licensing that is not included. Drivers obviously must be installed for the USB connection, but we provide those or will install them for you as part of the implementation.

Cheers

I noted your system calls for two 5500W water heating elements. Does it allow both elements to be powered on at the same time? My concern is this is only a 50 amp system and two of those elements will be ~46 amps which is pretty close to the maximum of the system.

Also, would you be open to customizing temperature probes? My thoughts run to TriClamp.

The system runs fine with two 5500 W elements running at the same time, that is what we designed around. Of course this is depending upon the user providing a capable electrical feed to the control unit....

We already have a solution for tri clamp that is not on the web site. There are a couple ways to do it if you are interested.

Cheers

Hey Dustin,
Just getting started with an arduino to progress to automating my brewery setup and got a few questions since your guys is based off this platform too. How are you measuring the volume in each tank? I am planning on implementing a flow meter in my pump line and totalising the volume pumped into each tank (with offsets for each tank due to different pipe run lengths.) Just interested if you guys looked into anything like this.
Cheers :mug:
I know that the niche in the market for those that want a fair bit of automation but do not feel capable of undertaking it themselves has been open for wa while, good to see someone start to fill it. Also good to see you getting into the commercial space also, one questions is how the open-source licence is working out or if you have/are developing your own system for those ones - I seen a lot of people that use Atmel micros do a fair bit of prototyping on an Arduino before fully developing a stand alone system.

Looks like your domain name expired. At least that's what GoDaddy is saying when I click your links.

Would love to look at this product but as others mentioned, the website registration has expired....

The product looks excellent to me. I was just surfing to drool over it agai when I got the redirect.

Happens all the time in the domain name registration game.

It would appear they shut down only after a year or so. They haven't posted anything new to their website or their Facebook page since July 2013. Questions on Facebook have gone unanswered.

Hopefully not too many people are dead in the water with the proprietary, (which I can only assume is) now unsupported software that runs the setup.

Kal

Is anyone aware of similar control/automation software for a micro? This was looking very promising until discovering they have essentially ceased operation from what I can tell. Cheers

Back