DIY Stir Plate for 5L Flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I am looking to build a stir plate that can handle my 5L flask for bigger beers. I have found tons of DIY walkthroughs, but have not been able to talk with anyone firsthand about it handling a 5L flask. Has anyone built one and used it with this large of a flask? Any feedback/links are greatly appreciated!

I built mine on from the diy on here using the amazon computer fan with the controller already mounted on it. I use it for my one gallon glass jug for starters with a 1" stir bar with no problems. It works best with the fan on low.

I made mine from a computer fan that fit perfectly into a black project box that I picked up at Radio Shack. I glued the magnet from a hard drive on top of the fan hub. Getting the balance right on that was honestly the hardest part of the whole project. I used JBWeld to attach the fan to the project box and also to attach a Zalman fan controller (drilled a hole so the control knob would stick through). I use it with a 2 liter flask and a + stir puck, works great. I put an LED in line to show power status and a push button switch for power. I used a 12V wall wart from a Linksys router to power it. The felt circles just keep the noise down and make sure the flask can't move around.

This is a great post on how to make one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

IMG_0421[1].jpg

IMG_0422[1].jpg

I do not have my 5L flask yet, but I have used my DIY plate with a 2 gallon and 5 gallon bucket without issue.

Is that a cross pattern stir bar in the pictures?
if so...where did you score one of those, and how does it owrk?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and it works amazingly well. The normal stir bars can be quite noisy, but this thing is quiet as can be. I got it on Amazon, make sure you are sitting down though, the price is a bit redic:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QNEZXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$20 bucks!? Damn..stir bars that are teflon coated are only noisy if you dont have them centered properly over your magnet, or your magnet isnt centered on your fan. My stir plate is dead silent once i get my flask in the right spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 5L flask. It is pulling the vortex down about 2" into the water.

image-3128255370.jpg

Back