In-Line Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimer

Reaction score
After getting my BYO yesterday, I read about the in-line O2 diffusion as well as the filtration article.

I was thinking, why not build something that would do both carbonation and filtering at the time of racking?

So the general layout would be:
Corny w/flat beer Out Post => Water Filtration Cartridge w/ 2 Micron Filter => Diffusion Stone (like the O2 one in BYO) =>Corny keg w/"carbed" beer Out Post

Now a few questions...
1. I understand that sanitation is of the utmost importance, would there be problems using quick disconnects and sanitizing them?

2. Would the "carbed" beer foam up in the corny keg too much? I know the colder the beer/kegs, the less of a chance of foaming.

Anyone else think this would work?

Thinking...

It could work but getting the pressures right will be tough. You'll need pressure on the donor keg to push the beer through the filter (maybe 15psi). You'll also supply the inline stone with some level of CO2 and maybe the same pressure. To get the receiving keg to hold the foam at bay but still allow the beer to flow, you'd want to hold it at about 12psi (I'm just guessing something like a 3psi differential is Okay). To do that, you can rig an adjustable spunding valve. The low rent method would be to pull the pressure release occasionally. You'll want to get the beer cold before doing anything.

I guess I just don't see the extra work being worth it for inline carbonation.

I was just thinking about it too. That one brewpub thread said that they did in-line carbonation, so it got me thinking about it.

I think 15psi would be too high. What if you had a check valve at the end of the carbonation tee so there wouldn't be any backflow?

That way you could have one tee, not lose CO2 and have it be a fully closed system.

Well the thing is, you def need pressure to push the beer and if you didn't vent the other end, the flow would eventually stop. Also, even if you get some (or all) CO2 absorbed inline, you need the donor keg to stay pressurized or you'll lose it.

Going to bump this rather old thread as one of the few I have found on this topic.

I have one of the Buon Vino Mini Jet pumps that I use for transfers to keg and from carboy to carboy. I was going to put a split in the line out and attach my CO2 tank to it to try and do inline carbonation going into a corny with finished beer.

Not dealing with filtration and not dealing with a pressurized transfer. Looking at pumping into a pressurized corny and bleeding off via the pressure relief valve while at the same time injecting CO2 into the line via a T splitter between pump and keg.

Transfers will be at cold crash and serving temps (34ºF) and everything at 10psi.

Ran the system tonight using water in a very rough set up and there was no blow back to the pump and everything flowed fine.

Will run beer through on the next batch to see what levels of carbonation are achieved inline via this set up.

Any issues that you can foresee?

OK. I have invested in parts. I ordered a pump and a carbonating stone. I have everything else I need to build this thing, which means it will be a 1.5" trip-clamp piece. Anyone interested in my documenting this build? Either way it will be done. I just don't want to waste the effort to share if no one is interested.

Wait. That sounds cocky or snobbish or just plain rude. Not my intent. so... I am building this thing as soon as the parts arrive. Anyone want to join me in the effort?

This will be a recirculating in-line carbonation wonder that the brewing gawds will gather to view so that there gasps of ahhhh will be absorbed by those of their fellows. Truly, the brewing heavens will find a new wing added so that this creation might not outshine the dwelling places of lesser brewing creations like the foil carboy cap cover.

This will be a recirculating in-line carbonation

We have been carbing beer like this for a while. There is a write up and video on how to do it on here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=600006

We us a Steelhead 2.0 pump and a stainless T with beer in/out and carbing stone in the other. QD for the hoses.
Just make sure you bleed the whole contraption with C02 before you hook it up to the keg. Or you will oxygenate your beer. Obviously sanitize it as well

We can carb a beer in about 1-2 hours. You can drink it after that, but if you let the beer settle down overnight you will get less foam.

Same as the Blichmann QuickCarb

I started putting my carbonator together yesterday. I need 2 more fittings for the pump to attach the beer lines but its about there. I used an old water cooler stand as a base and built it with triclamp fittings because had them.
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4634.jpg

Back