Imperial yeast A38 Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmannvan

Reaction score
I planned on brewing a New England ipa, so I went to the Lhbs for ingredients. they were out of giga yeast Vermont I had planned to use. But what I did find was a little can of imperial yeast A38 juice. Their website says perfect for east coast ipa. I figured sounds perfect.

Now has anyone used this yeast and how did the beers turn out??

Cheers[emoji482]

Just kegged a NE style IPA with it. Pre-keg sample tasted and smelled great. Supposedly very similar to Wyeast London Ale III, not sure how it differs from Gigayeast but you should be fine.

It definitely needs a blow off like 1318 it's going crazy right now. Will be throwing some dry hops in tonight but my fermentation room already smells great. Excited for this one.

I've actually just placed an overnight order for A38 as I've always wanted to try IOY. Unfortunately nobody local (except one LHBS which is too far from me) carries the brand so I went with great fermentation and they shipped within the hour of ordering.

Worked well for me, fermentation was fast and strong. Tried some of my batch made with A38 and a another made with LAIII and didn't notice a difference. I think you'd be fine going with A38.

Worked well for me, fermentation was fast and strong. Tried some of my batch made with A38 and a another made with LAIII and didn't notice a difference. I think you'd be fine going with A38.

Nice! I will definitely be on the lookout for it from now on. The Heady Topper equivalent has never really worked out for me, regardless of manufacturer.

Thanks for the info!

Worked week for me as well! Can date was 1/12 I believe and I brewed on 2/4. Fermentation took off on my NEIPA 8hrs after pitch and as mentioned fermented fast and strong! Beer was kegged a few days ago but samples are fire! Placed a huge order for other strains as well as this one again

Worked week for me as well! Can date was 1/12 I believe and I brewed on 2/4. Fermentation took off on my NEIPA 8hrs after pitch and as mentioned fermented fast and strong! Beer was kegged a few days ago but samples are fire! Placed a huge order for other strains as well as this one again

does this leave the brew cloudy or does it clean it up? Im brewing a NE IPA haze craze this week and can't decide between A38 and A24

Beer came out hazy. Similar to a bright OJ.

IMG_0650.jpg

I did use the yeast and this was the result this picture is what was left in my bottling bucket, will post a pic once its bottle condition. The yeast is a beast and aggressive, you have to use a blowoff tube!

C8hrcMkU0AAA-wv.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the yeast or some issue with my process but I used this for my NEIPA and it was delicious when it was first kegged but quickly cleared and seemingly the yeast settled and took all the hop aroma/flavor with it.

Anybody else have this issue?

thats not a yeast issue. if it cleared up, its something about your process. First time I attempted a NEIPA, it cleared after a week too. My second attempt, has stayed the same haze.

thats not a yeast issue. if it cleared up, its something about your process. First time I attempted a NEIPA, it cleared after a week too. My second attempt, has stayed the same haze.

That's good to know. Any idea what changed in your process to get the desired results?

That's good to know. Any idea what changed in your process to get the desired results?

adding dry hops during active fermentation. I used the same recipe, first one didnt have any dry hops during fermentation and that cleared up after being bottle conditioned. Second, dry hops on day 3 of fermentation, and that has stayed the same amount of haze . If it gets sunny out today or tomorrow, I'll take side by side pics for comparison

adding dry hops during active fermentation. I used the same recipe, first one didnt have any dry hops during fermentation and that cleared up after being bottle conditioned. Second, dry hops on day 3 of fermentation, and that has stayed the same amount of haze . If it gets sunny out today or tomorrow, I'll take side by side pics for comparison

This makes sense, my batch attenuated quicker than expected so I too missed dry hopping during fermentation. Thanks for the info

I noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of haze when i used a good portion of oats (12-15%) and white wheat (17-20%) in the grist but i have always used dry hops during active fermentation. I will post a pic later but they were not rushed, not yeasty (actually finned the last batch with gelatin), and still hazy after 1.5 months in a keg!

I am also really happy with Imperial yeast A38 Juice also
Dry hopped with Citra and Motueka

Attachments

• D94A6D47-8552-444D-AA59-76914ACBFACE.jpeg
    D94A6D47-8552-444D-AA59-76914ACBFACE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
Not a pale ale, but I had great success with juice in an oatmeal stout. It’s a great house strain

How long does it take this yeast to drop? I’m at final gravity but there is still a super thick layer on top. Can I keg it with the yeast on top?

Did you check your FG a few days apart to make sure it’s not still dropping slightly? My juice has always fallen eventually. If in doubt, there’s nothing wrong with letting it sit a few more days

Yea I’m at 1.011 now and it’s been dry hopped but this is only 6 days in it just fermented so fast.

Latest posts

Back