Imperial Red Ale Aged in Whiskey and Honey Soaked Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMK1992

Reaction score
So I have an idea for a red/amber ale. I want a really nice bready, biscuity, caramel flavour with a slight chocolate bite at the end. I am going to soak oak chips in honey and irish whiskey for 2 weeks then add to my secondary for 2-4 weeks depending on how it's going.

My idea for the recipe is as follows:
Maris Otter Pale (51%)
Wyermann Munich Malt Type 1 (27%)
Flaked Oats (6%)
Wyermann Cara Amber Malt (6%)
Crisp light crystal (EBC145-165) (4%)
Crisp medium crystal (EBC 225-265) (2%)
Crisp Amber Malt (3%)
Crisp Low Colour Chocolate Malt (1%)
Crisp Roasted Barley (0.5%)

Boil for 60mins

7 grams of Magnum @60mins
7 grams of East Kent G @ 15mins

Yeast
Mangrove Jacks M15 Empire Ale yeast or Lallemand Nottingham Ale yeast

After primary fermentation moving to the secondary and adding the honey whiskey soaked french oak chips for potentially up to 4 weeks.

Any thoughts on this??

My first thought was that you have a lot of competing grains in there. I have an amber that I hope to brew soon, and 2 oz of Roasted Barley in with 1 lb of Crystal 60 and 1 lb of Light Munich gave it plenty of amber color...not sure you need Amber + Chocolate + Roasted Barley. Also, lots of overlap with CaraAmber, Light Crystal and Medium Crystal.

I have not figured out honey (and have not used it in many years). A little of the store purchased honey mostly just ferments out to alcohol, but there might be some robust/flavorful honey that will impart some flavor. It will be interesting to see if soaking the chips in honey imparts any flavor.

Yea the more I have thought about it I am likely to drop the medium crystal. Not sure what to do about the chocolate and roasted barley. I want a chocolate bite at the end of the beer but no a small amount of roasted barley goes well with amber ales. I am hoping that using the honey soaked chips in the secondary imparts more honey flavour.

Back