Imperial Loki a43 - anyone else like this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Back in December, I decided to give this strain a go. Sounded like it would chew through most stuff and by throttling the temps, one could greatly affect the outcome.

I did an American strong - Tons of Maris Otter, A blend of Extra Special, Caraaroma, and a few other grains. Hopping was Galena for bitter, Enigma and Comet.

Batch came in at an OG of 1.078 and finished out at 1.011

The thought process was the heavy malt and bite of the hops, yeast esters would be a bit burred and it would be a safe adventure.

Gotta admit, I love the outcome. I can find some of the citrus in the background, but it goes well with the Comet hops.

It chewed that beer down in four days on top of it all.

One run only but seems to love a big beer, that one does.

My next plans are for a monstrous barley wine with this as the yeast. So far, really liking what I am getting.

I also have heard it's Voss but cannot confirm. I've used it twice, once in a pale ale, now in a porter. I dried and froze my yeast cake and pitched into the porter. 1/3 cake seems to have been an underpitch.

Well - two more things to add to this post.

1) American strong mentioned above took second at first round of national HBC. Stoked about that

2) Ran a farmhouse with it two weeks ago and it is now kegged. Fantastic batch. Fermented at 85°F. Incredible batch. Pale, wheat, Carahell, Strata hops. Brilliant orange and great head retention. Citrus, pepper, spice and sight clove.

This is a very versatile yeast with proper temperature control

Back