Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
Brewed it 6 days ago. It's an "Edwort's Pale Ale". It fermented much more vigorously than the other 5 batches I've brewed thus far - the blow off tube bubbles were coming at about the rate of a machine gun for several days.

I tasted it and it seems slightly sour. Is it infected, or does that look like ordinary Krausen? and if so am i better to bottle it soon or later? Thanks!

infection.jpg

I agree- ordinary krausen......We bottle when FG measurements are consistent and as expected over a two or three day period. Not by guessing.

great, thanks guys! I was definitely going to wait for a consistent gravity reading before bottling, but so far I've given them an extra week to settle. Had it been infected I would have considered bottling as soon as gravity was consistent and hope it salvageable. Good to know that it looks normal!

actually no - that was a nottingham ale yeast which I've used twice before. I switched the blow off tube for an airlock and took a gravity reading while the stopper was out. It tasted a bit of sour in the sample and after it bugged me for a few hours I decided to have a look. Thus far I don't usually 'see' the beer until about 3 weeks after it's been in primary in which case they've all been settled much better. The sourness combined with the sight of this krausen led me to suspect infection...

Have no fear. Looks fine to me. If the sourness was appley it's just young beer. The yeast will clean it up.

Nottingham yeast? I remember one batch where the krausen looked like coco-crispies. Like something you could eat. Made me wonder ....

It's pretty common for noobs to mistake sharp tasting green beer for sour or something else being "off". RDWHAHB...:mug:

I bottled it today and while it is green and flat, it seems like it will be a fine beer.

Thanks everyone!

Back