About to make the plunge into E-Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to slowly build up an electric brewing system and I want to start with the kettle. My question is how to I wire a 10/4 cord to the element?

Some additional information:
I want to directly plug my kettle to the outlet so I can get started on e-brewing. Later I will build a control panel when I can afford it.
I am going to unplug my stove that has a 220v outlet on a 50amp cirt and I want to use that outlet to plug in my kettle.

My stove has a 10/4 cord. If I use the same outlet and I use the same type of plug does the 4th cord go when wiring it to the element?

Thanks for the help.

I am going to slowly build up an electric brewing system and I want to start with the kettle. My question is how to I wire a 10/4 cord to the element?

Some additional information:
I want to directly plug my kettle to the outlet so I can get started on e-brewing. Later I will build a control panel when I can afford it.
I am going to unplug my stove that has a 220v outlet on a 50amp cirt and I want to use that outlet to plug in my kettle.

My stove has a 10/4 cord. If I use the same outlet and I use the same type of plug does the 4th cord go when wiring it to the element?

Thanks for the help.

You should really consider a GFCI Spa Panel, it can save your ass in a bad situation. It would also allow for you to turn the element on and off without unplugging it. If you were to use one, you can wire it up using P-J's diagram/photos, and then just add a 3 conductor (2 hots and safety ground) outlet to connect your element.

The recommendation for a spa panel or other means of GFCI protection is on point and should be seriously considered. There's cheap, and then there's smart, and often times you can (and should) get both.

That being said - I'll answer your actual question - the 4 wires in that plug are Hot A, Hot B, Ground, and Neutral. The neutral is only there because some of the components in your stove run on 120v. If your element is 240v, you only need Hot A, Hot B, and Ground. You have a few options. 1 - Assuming the plug you get is one of the 'wire-yourself' type, simply don't put the neutral prong on - so you'd have a 3 prong plug with the 4th prong missing. This is probably the best option in my opinion. 2 - If you're using a fixed-prong type plug that still allows you to connect your wires to it, just trim the neutral wire short and don't connect it. 3 - If you're using a fixed plug that doesn't allow you to alter the plug end, then trim the neutral short at the element end, or if you have room at the element junction box, put a wire nut on the neutral and wrap it with electrical tape then leave it in the box.

-Kevin

Back