Will Gelatin Affect My Late Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1096

Reaction score
I just brewed a DIPA on Friday, and I'm considering using gelatin after I rack to my keg for dry hopping in about 2 weeks to clear up alot of the California Ale yeast that will still be in suspension. I added most of my hops very late in the boil including a hop stand where I cooled the wort to 170 and steeped 2 oz's of hops for about 20 minutes. Will adding gelatin to my keg to clear the beer before dry hopping take away all the benefits of my late hop additions...primarily my hop stand?

I used gelatin once and it made my beer crystal clear. However I feel like it stripped my hop aroma. Crash cooling does a good job of settling the yeast and I feel like it doesn have a noticable effect on the aroma. I crash cool everything I make now if I can afford a week or 2

I used gelatin once and it made my beer crystal clear. However I feel like it stripped my hop aroma. Crash cooling does a good job of settling the yeast and I feel like it doesn have a noticable effect on the aroma. I crash cool everything I make now if I can afford a week or 2

I typically just cold crash also, but the WLP001 that I used to ferment this batch never clears up for me. I've tried whirlfloc, I cold crash...this strain is a pain to get to drop out of suspension. I would dry hop after using the gelatin so I wouldn't strip my dry hop aromas, but I'm wondering if my boil additions...specifically my late boil and flame out additions...would suffer.

Back