Lactobacillus Bacteria vs. Lactic Acid in Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewski

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a traditional Berliner Weisse, and am trying to decide between a) pitching Lactobacillus bacteria to the green wort with the yeast, or b) simply adding lactic acid to the fermented beer.

Can anyone advise of pros/cons to either method, and recommend what quantity would be appropriate for a subtle tartness in a 5 gallon batch?

Cheers!

The best way to do this is to use a berliner Weiss blend from Wyeast or white labs. After fermentation taste to see if you like the sourness. The best way to achieve sourness from these blends is to not make a starter and ferment high, if you can 80+.

I'm about to make one, but I'm going to sour the mash for a couple days, then boil and pitch some US-05. For 3 gals, the grain cost me under $3 and I will re-use yeast from a batch in primary now and about $.25 of hops, so if it is a fail, not much is lost.

I'm about to make one, but I'm going to sour the mash for a couple days, then boil and pitch some US-05. For 3 gals, the grain cost me under $3 and I will re-use yeast from a batch in primary now and about $.25 of hops, so if it is a fail, not much is lost.

This is the best way to get sourness, but from what it sounds this might be your first time making one, and i was trying to give you the simplest way. Also some brewers don't like doing sour mash because they require extra equipment, the lacto and bret can lech onto the plastic.

Back